Help buying a good second ukulele?

AlisonCastle

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had my cheap Stagg Soprano for about a year now but I've got to the stage where I'm willing to part with more money for a better instrument. (I want to brain myself when it comes to tuning the damn thing and it just doesn't sound good).
I've set myself a budget of around £150 (I'm a student so money is always tight) but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Anything I buy will have to be delivered to the UK and be able to stand the wonderful chilliness of Scotland (I'm talking North Coast extremes).

I've been reading up on makes etc but there's only so much I can learn from articles. I'd love some advice from those of you who have been in my situation.

I've only ever played the Soprano so obviously I'm leaning towards that, but I do love the deeper tones of the concert and tenor.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just something I can enjoy playing that looks attractive (I don't know why that's so important to me).

I'd love to hear back from you as I really do miss the excitement of playing the ukulele without the misery of constant tuning.

Ohana, Lanikai, Mainland, Bruko, Kiwaya. And others. If you pay around the price you're wanting to spend, you'll be able to get a good one.

Theres a seller on ebay UK that has an all solid mahogany Aria AC250 concert with a case and a full professional setup for under 100 quid.....two of your countrymen bought them late last week and were seeking guidance on which uke to buy.

Theres a seller on ebay UK that has an all solid mahogany Aria AC250 concert with a case and a full professional setup for under 100 quid.....two of your countrymen bought them late last week and were seeking guidance on which uke to buy.

Me - I got the Aria concert and it's an absolute bargain for what it is (with a hard case and setup) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121006077200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Actually works out at £110 delivered - so that's £40 under your budget......

Thanks for your advice! My Aunty recently bought a Vietnamese uke similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310574197869?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 and I completely fell in love with it.

I'd love to buy this one but I've heard such mixed reviews about these types that I'd be nervous of taking the risk.

Any of you had experience with these? I know there have been problems with humidity changes in them.

Top Bottom