My tuner keeps slipping on my KoAloha long neck soprano.

Thinker

Reaction score
So,

My newish KoAloha long-neck soprano hasn't been played in a little while ( I put it all away before the holidays and picked it back up now). I tried to re-tune it - but the C-string wouldn't tune. It would go to B, but then just un-wind right away when I tried to tune it higher. It doesn't have any more friction grip.

What should I do?

Are they friction tuners? I'd like to learn about this also, as my wife's new Kala soprano seems to have one tuner that turns too easily and probably needs to be tightened...the string seems to slip out of tune after a short while. Is this the kind of problem you are having as well? Hopefully it's as simple as tightening the screw you can see in the backside of the tuner, where you turn it...

"What should I do?"

As others have mentioned, it's an easy fix just tighten the screw until the tuner will hold (remember that the strings will also be "stretching in" all over again since it's been in storage quite a while).

However, don't stop there, if the friction tuner(s) got that loose in storage it sounds like the wood of the headstock has shrunk a little, which indicates a dry condition. Make sure you acquire and use a good case humidifier or you may have more serious problems down the road.

John

As for case humidification, I've had fantastic success with using old prescription bottles filled with polyacrylamide gel "moisture crystals" such as these.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/miracle-gro-075-lb-water-storing-crystals-100831.html#.URKDIqU0V8E

They are pure polyacrylamide and inert (**dreaming back to the days in the bio lab doing gel electrophoreisis....**). I drill multiple holes through all sides and bottom of the prescription bottles with a 1/16 or 3/16 bit...not too much pressure or the bottle cracks. Fill the bottle with a scant 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of the crystals, cover and submerge in a container of water for several hours. Even with the 1/16 bit, as the crystals expand, the excess will push their way out of the holes into the container. Add more crystals to the container IF it doesn't fill up in about 1/2 hour. Then, just remove from the soaking container, dry and place in your uke case. I have 3 in mine (our household humidity averages 16% in winter), and the humidity in the case as measured by salt calibrated digital hygrometer is 55-60%. For safety, I also have an Oasis humidifier in place inside the uke.

Every few days, soak your new humidifiers overnight. It's good to have 2 sets per case so you can just switch out fresh ones.

Anyway, I'm extremely impressed with the effectiveness of the homemade humidifiers (learned about them here, of course). The 3/4 lb bag of polyacrylamide crystals will last basically forever.

Hope this was useful information!

Mark

This happens a lot with the C string on my KoAloha concert too. I keep a small screwdriver in its case.

I had the same problem with my KoAloha uke when I first got it. The G and C strings would both go out of tune. I would tune it and you could see the tuners turn as it slightly de-tuned itself. I tightened the screws on the back slightly and the problem was solved.

Hmm....the screw doesn't seem to want to tighten....

Fix or free offer

Hmm....the screw doesn't seem to want to tighten....

If they are the original tuners, (see below) it will tighten. Use an appropriate screw driver (one that fits the slot without slop) and be firm. But, don't turn it far. Start with an eighth of a turn. If no success, another eighth. Until it works like the others.

If you start making 360 degree turns, you will surely go too far and risk cracking the buttons.

If you cannot get it to work, PM me. I have a full set that work perfectly and look new. I'll trade you one good one for your bad one, (mine don't have the Koaloha logo, but they are the identical tuners) or trade the whole set if you like.

180U-665_headstock-back.jpg

How - This is really frustrating. It feels to me like the screw won't turn at all. Any suggestions? I don't want to break it.

How - This is really frustrating. It feels to me like the screw won't turn at all. Any suggestions? I don't want to break it.

Even if you unscrew it a good amount and then screw back in? That's odd. I see your frustration. Hmm. What does Koaloha say? They'll likely tell you to reef on it, and if it breaks, they'll send you a new tuner that you can replace yourself. Ask Brian et al at Koaloha. Tell us so we can learn, think.

Even if you unscrew it a good amount and then screw back in? That's odd. I see your frustration. Hmm. What does Koaloha say? They'll likely tell you to reef on it, and if it breaks, they'll send you a new tuner that you can replace yourself. Ask Brian et al at Koaloha. Tell us so we can learn, think.

It's a good thought - let me see what I can find out. I'll probably contact Hawaii Music Supply again too. They've been great - so they might help.

Really, I'll send you a tuner free, if you want to replace it. I replaced the tuners on my Koaloha about five years ago and they've been sitting in a drawer ever since. If you want them, I'll trade you the whole set. Used for about two months and in perfect working and cosmetic condition.

You took off the KoAloha friction tuners for geared tuners, Steve!!

(plunks back into office chair and starts fanning face with old issue of "Ukulele World" magazine)

Top Bottom