Nut width

kevin54

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post here, although I've been a lurker. I've only been playing for about 2 months, using a Lanakai concert size, bought from Amazon. I really like it. But I also wanted a slightly larger uke so I recently ordered the Islander MT-4 from HMS. I've heard such positive things about them and their set-up, so I'm excited to get a uke that's been properly set-up.
I have small to medium sized hands and I only now realized that Islanders have a slightly wider nut, thus the strings are slightly wider spaced. Can anyone tell me if this is a substantial issue for playability? I've read and heard good things about Islanders regarding sound, playability etc. so I'm just looking to hear what others think about them. BTW, I've played a soprano uke and felt the fretboard was too small, perhaps because I used to play guitar. Can't wait for the new uke, I can't believe I've already added to my collection after only 2 months! :) Thanks for any opinions!
Regards,
Kevin

It's a noticeable difference, but if you have guitar experience you should be alright.

If you can play a guitar then you can deal with a slightly wider nut. You may prefer it. I like wide string spacing as it makes it easier to finger and pick cleanly.

Anthony

Thanks guys. My guitar playing was a long time ago. But we'll see how it goes next week when I get my uke. I find barring chords is difficult, so I am a little apprehensive.
Kevin

I actually prefer a wider nut because it means wider string spacing. This is an advantage for both the left and right hands, but especially the right hand. If you ever start doing finger rolls you will appreciate the additional room for your right-hand fingers!

John

I have one ukulele with the same nut width as your Islander. I like it very much. Only one little bugaboo: I have trouble fretting two strings with one finger. The pads of my fingers are a little small to accomplish this as easily as on a 1 3/8" nut width.

Top Bottom