Thread: Question about Tie Bar Bridge and Re-stringing

Southern California native and an Arizonian affective 1/20/09

Default Question about Tie Bar Bridge and Re-stringing

So I was restringing my dads Uke that has a Tie Bar bridge. using the over-under-over-under knot. I had absolutely no problems, until I got to the A string. I did a double loop and as I was trying to tune it, the knot would completely slip out. I was able to make it hold with a triple loop but, is this the norm? I was able to tune it no problem but being somewhat OCD it's still bothering me.

I usually use a triple loop on the A string for tie bridges. Especially if the string is Worth. They seem to slip more easily and are thinner than other brands. I once had an A string slip out and put a gash on a cedar soundboard as I tuned it up to pitch. Ever since then, I make sure I have plenty of strings left below the bridge and do at least a triple loop. Once it's up to pitch and I'm satisfied that it is secure, I trim the excess string below the bridge. I've had no problems with it since.
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

Southern California native and an Arizonian affective 1/20/09

Great thank you GX. I feel better now

i had the same problem, had to do a triple loop

does it matter if the string is going on the outside of the peg or the inside after you tighten them up?

Thread Information