Name YOUR top three ukes

These are currently my 3 favourites.
W.J.Herringe Concert, Tenor & Baritone.
Bill has built a few of these for me in the last couple of years and these 3 are by far the best to date.

Stunning family Cam. Videos? We, the people, want em y'know :)

wow 2 years already. update list:

1) koa MBU
2) spruce / milo MBU
3) redwood / milo LFDM

back to my first love...

Sorry, can't choose three from the four I currently own. (See below)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This set was arrived at by applying the process of sacrificial expansion. I reluctant sold some off to achieve a certain outcome. Not that I didn't love the ones I sold, I just wanted to end up with a varied collection of looks and tone.

Last edited:
I love seeing everyone's top picks. As I don't have a collection, I can't play, but y'all have some gorgeous instruments!

Not sure why the pic is sideways. Looks fine when I open it.

1. Collings UC3 Maple/Spruce with Cherry Sunburst Finish (middle)
2. Collings UT2 Doghair (left)
3. LoPrinzi 3K Longneck Soprano (right)

View attachment 77222

Not sure why the pic is sideways. Looks fine when I open it.

1. Collings UC3 Maple/Spruce with Cherry Sunburst Finish (middle)
2. Collings UT2 Doghair (left)
3. LoPrinzi 3K Longneck Soprano (right)

View attachment 77222

Fantastic looking Ukes those dog hair Collings. What's your take on the difference between the UC3 and the UT2?

Fantastic looking Ukes those dog hair Collings. What's your take on the difference between the UC3 and the UT2?

Thanks. Yeah, I really love the Doghair, especially with an ebony fretboard (most have rosewood, which to me really fractures the all black/white design).

Sound-wise, these two are quite different in many ways and I really love them both. I had a UC2 mahogany that was also nice and have played other UT2's, but there is something about this particular UT2 that is different in a good way. It has the strong midrange you expect with 'hog, but it has a lot of articulation in the higher and lower registers, more than I've noticed with other 'hog ukes. It is also surprising light. The UC3 has a more balanced voice to my ear, with a nice sweetness to its higher notes. Clear as mud? Haha. I was planning to do a sound sample once I change the stock Savarez strings on the UT2 to Southcoast (same as currently on my UC3). Maybe I'll do it as is and then later do an update.

1. Kiwaya KTC-6 (concert) with brown Worth strings. most resonant uke I have heard!
2. Kiwaya KTS-6 (soprano) with any string. so light, so elegant, such a joy to hold and play
3. Mainland Mahogany soprano

I also have a Mainland Tenor, but I don't play tenor anymore, but it is quite an instrument too!

1. Mele Solid Mahogany Tenor
I play this uke literally everyday. I just really like the warm tone of the instrument especially with experimenting with different string sets which is I use the Low G from Hilo Strings and the CEA strings from La Bella.
2.Kamaka Gold Label Mid 1950s Soprano
When I try to get that traditional old school Hawaiian sound.
3. Fender Nohea Tenor
Even though it is a laminate tenor, I still the vibe that I get when I play it. Maybe its because I have had this uke since I started getting really into the ukulele.

There sure are some lovely ukes listed here. Thanks to anyone who posted videos!

Mine are a humble lot. A Kala all solid acacia tenor KA-ASAC-T has become my favourite and has really turned me onto tenors generally. It seemed the best deal in a non-laminate instrument. I suspect I'll be shopping for an upgrade before too long. Second would be another Kala, concert size KA-ASOV-C, spruce top with ovangkol back and sides. The one piece back is a nice touch. After those two I don't have favourites but the Gold Tone banjo-uke is a fun alternative. Besides restringing and adding strap buttons my ukes are stock.

The order depends on the day. Right now it is as follows. Tomorrow may be different.

Kiwaya KMS-K
Martin 3 Cherry
Kiwaya KTS-7

My current top three:

1. Kanile'a Concert
2. Pono Mahogany Concert
3. Kala MGM Tenor

All three are strung low G.

In order of appearance:
1 - Mele redwood/koa concert (living water)
2 - Kiwaya KS-4 pineapple soprano (worth)
3 - KoAloha Opio concert (martin)
Special mention for the massive deep tone:
Kala cedar/acacia concert (aquila red low-G)

Top Bottom