Koloa Solid Top Soprano Question

Kevin B

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me their opinion of the Koloa KU-300 Mahogany Soprano Ukulele, Solid Top? Have you played it? Own one? Thanks in advance.

I had it's big brother, the very much the same but slightly more blingy KU-600, and thought it was atrocious. It is solid top, yes. I played it for a couple months, but it was quiet, not resonant, heavy and lacking expressive tone. It was "dead". It played and handled like the corpse of a heavyset man.

And that was before the frets started to lift. lol

I have had many ukuleles, and that was the worst--even slightly worse than the Luna Great Wave soprano, which by itself is enough to make anyone want to give up the ghost and quit ukuleles.

There are online reviews of the Koloa, including an official one by respected UU member ukeeku, and they all seems to be of two types: new ukulele players that haven't yet had the pleasure to play a tuneful, resonant instrument yet (I was one of them once) and give it props for looks--- and those in the know, who found that it's a doorstop. It's best used to stop your front door from slamming in the wind. So, it wasn't that I got a bad one.

If you want an idea of how they sound, get a fresh set of quality Worth Clear strings and string them up on a ship's anchor and pluck it a few times.

For a hundred smackers there are many choices. Go to two hundred and there are a gazillion superb choices.
Mandatory viewing for you, Kevin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmEHVcZvB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-pDw5nRI4

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks. Amazon has them for $49 but I thought it might be too good to be true. I have a laminate Makala Pineapple Soprano that is already better than I am. I've just been hankering for a traditional shaped soprano.

If you want an idea of how they sound, get a fresh set of quality Worth Clear strings and string them up on a ship's anchor and pluck it a few times.

That's all well and good but what do you *really* think of them! :D

That is another I had on my short list. Thanks.

I had it's big brother, the very much the same but slightly more blingy KU-600, and thought it was atrocious. It is solid top, yes. I played it for a couple months, but it was quiet, not resonant, heavy and lacking expressive tone. It was "dead". It played and handled like the corpse of a heavyset man.

And that was before the frets started to lift. lol

I have had many ukuleles, and that was the worst--even slightly worse than the Luna Great Wave soprano, which by itself is enough to make anyone want to give up the ghost and quit ukuleles.

There are online reviews of the Koloa, including an official one by respected UU member ukeeku, and they all seems to be of two types: new ukulele players that haven't yet had the pleasure to play a tuneful, resonant instrument yet (I was one of them once) and give it props for looks--- and those in the know, who found that it's a doorstop. It's best used to stop your front door from slamming in the wind. So, it wasn't that I got a bad one.

For a hundred smackers there are many choices. Go to two hundred and there are a gazillion superb choices.
Mandatory viewing for you, Kevin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmEHVcZvB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra-pDw5nRI4

Enjoy!

Boy, you sure like to overgeneralize Cool! LOL. Nearly all of the positive reviews were about the all solid mahogany Koloa ukes, which are light, resonant, and gorgeous. They come with bone nuts and saddles. Not sure which model you owned, you left that out. If you haven't seen or played one of them, then you don't really know I guess. I haven't heard the solid topped laminates, so I don't really know anything about them, but to trash all Koloa's as harshly as you did is not cool! Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXwYxmU3SY

Last edited:
Boy, you sure like to overgeneralize Cool! LOL. Nearly all of the positive reviews were about the all solid mahogany Koloa ukes, which are light, resonant, and gorgeous. They come with bone nuts and saddles. Not sure which model you owned, you left that out. If you haven't seen or played one of them, then you don't really know I guess. I haven't heard the solid topped laminates, so I don't really know anything about them, but to trash all Koloa's as harshly as you did is not cool!

I have talked with many who have played Koloa ukes and it is always the same feeling.
"I want to love it, but it is just not that awesome"
In full dis closer, the company that makes them, The Music Link Corp., threatened to sue me since I gave them an unfavorable review and exposed their crappy practice of selling their stuff at guitar center under a different name, Silver Creek, at a steep discount over what dealers can sell the products for.
They don't care about making ukes, just money.
Please support companies that care (Kala, lanikai, Cordoba, Mainland, ......)

I have talked with many who have played Koloa ukes and it is always the same feeling.
"I want to love it, but it is just not that awesome"
In full dis closer, the company that makes them, The Music Link Corp., threatened to sue me since I gave them an unfavorable review and exposed their crappy practice of selling their stuff at guitar center under a different name, Silver Creek, at a steep discount over what dealers can sell the products for.
They don't care about making ukes, just money.
Please support companies that care (Kala, lanikai, Cordoba, Mainland, ......)[/QU

As I said, I'm talking about the all solid mahogany Koloas. Nothing that's been said here is about them. Re: the 650 model.....nothing said here even remotely could be applied to savagehenry's solid mahogany Koloa baritone!!!!!! With the possible exception of Mainland, puts the others you mentioned to shame, in every possible way (except I don't really know how Koloa stands behind their product should you get a faulty one). Just sayin.....in giving an "informed opinion", compare apples to apples.

I just got the all solid KU-600 and personally I don't think it's terrible. For the price I paid ($119) I think it's pretty good. I can upload a sound sample if anyone is interested. Maybe it's because I'm a new uke player and can't tell if a ukulele sounds bad, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Here it is btw, and please excuse the playing and microphone.

Hope this helps with your decision OP.

Last edited:
It looks likfe Amazon uses a baritone picture in the soprano listing. I watched it get all the way down to $41 and considered taking a chance if it made it to the 30's. Now is is back up at $75.

Top Bottom