Tenor or baritone

I have an Ohana BK-20, a very worthy contender at its price point. More than the Kala KA-B, but it's a solid top whereas the Kala is laminate. :)

Baritone it's going to be no doubt.

The more I look and listen to sound clips, the more I am leaning toward a vintage bari. It also just seems to fit my personality better than modern instruments. Seems to be quite a few moving in and out of the market all the time.

Now I just gotta be careful that it's in decent shape because I'm do doubt going to be buying it over the internet.

What's your price range; I may know of a vintage Martin, Gibson and Kamaka white label coming up soon. Going to be around 1500.00. They're not mine, just a guy I know.

What's your price range; I may know of a vintage Martin, Gibson and Kamaka white label coming up soon. Going to be around 1500.00. They're not mine, just a guy I know.

Significantly LOWER than $1500.

I'm looking more for instruments such as Harmonys, Silvertones, etc. I'd love to find a Favilla "fixer upper!" The more blue collar baritone ukulele is what I'm looking for. At my current level of ability (or significant lack thereof) I can't justify spending $1500. Hell, I'm still learning how to get my fingers out of the way when I change chords and still maintain tempo!! But thanks!
Now......if you know anyone with a 50's or 60's vintage Harmony......!

This is a great site for low g tuning and baritone instrumentals
http://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/

If you just play chords, a low g tenor will be just fine, with the 4th string giving a lower octave of the note.

If you go with a baritone, you can use guitar chord diagrams, and ignore the extra strings.

Have fun.

–Lori

WOW Lori....THANKS!!!

On the "blogroll" at that site I found "Humble Baritronics."....and I was worried that there would wouldn't be any online information regarding playing the bari.....man o' man was I wrong!
I'm especially looking to get into bluegrass and bluesy fingerpicking.

Sorry to resurrect but found this youtube video about shuffling the strings of an unwound bari set to get GCEA with a low 'G' and low 'A'. (The 'A' string is reentrant). The string shuffling discounts using typicay bari string set with a wound 'G'.

bari strings EBGD. Shuffle to GEBD (3124). Tune the low 'D' up to 'G', tune the 'B' up to 'C', leave the 'E' and tune the 'G' DOWN to 'A'.

Probably not great for you pickers.

video:

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought a Pono Bari and I like it...Tried a Martin Bari at McCabes in Los Angeles and very underwhelmed by the sound. Sound is subjective.

Top Bottom