Suggestions please for an acoustic-electric solid top guitar, $300-$500

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'd like to help a friend select an acoustic-electric solid top guitar in the $300-$500 range. She says she prefers cedar as a soundboard. Any suggestions, advice about what to look for, etc., is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mark, the Seagull S6 QI might fit the bill. Solid cedar top, laminate cherry body, and an active pickup system. I have an S6 that came sans pickup, but had a K & K pickup installed. It sounds wonderful. Duane probably has a few in stock at Music Works.

I would second the S6 QI. The S6 is just about the best bang for the buck in that price range, and the Seagull QI pickup is decent. I would personally prefer a K&K pure mini, but nothing wrong with the QI. It even has a built in tuner, which is quite handy.

Seagulls usually have a 1.8" string spacing at the nut, which your friend may find a tad wide. I love it, but my hands are pretty big. If size is an issue, also check out the S6 Slim QI. Identical specs, only the nut is 1.72" and the binding is cream instead of brown.

Good luck with your search!

Mark
I saw Daniel Ho play a Yamaha at Guitar Center for about that price..sounded good and it had electronics on it..not sure what topwood was..yeah and Seagull like the person said above good too..

but if you can find a Taylor(maybe used)that would be the nicest..i think

My wife has an Epiphone and a Luna Hummingbird. The Luna gets all the playing time. She really enjoys it. It seems to sound good through my Fishman Loudbox mini when she wants to plug in.

My wife has an Epiphone and a Luna Hummingbird. The Luna gets all the playing time. She really enjoys it. It seems to sound good through my Fishman Loudbox mini when she wants to plug in.

Thanks! My freind has been looking at a Luna folk guitar with a tattoo on the soundboard. I played one and thought it was a little quiet (I think I prefer cedar soundboards on guitars). I'll pass along your suggestion about the Hummingbird.

Top Bottom