Max String Tension for a Tenor ??

cigarfan

Reaction score
Is there a max overall pounds (lbs) for tenor ukes?

This question would be best answered in the Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge Forum rather then in the Beginners section . . .

Thanks. I will ask it there.

Just getting the hang of how things shake out here on UU.

Dirk (Southcoast Ukes) is very good resource for string info. String Tips #1 talks about tension but nothing specific as asked by the OP. David Hurd (Ukuleles by Kawika) provides a cumulative tension guide in the Strings Section of his site. Hopefully may give you an answer you're looking for. And maybe some of the luthiers can chime in and provide their thoughts.

I sold an old baritone uke to a guy..who tuned it to "C" with a low "G"....sounded great..but it was like playing an unexploded bomb...I advised him to only play it wearing safety specs:D

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The info from Southcoast Ukes and David Hurd is helpful but an answer to the original question still remains open.

I have just acquired a Mako Tenor custom built by Dennis Kato on Oahu, HI. It is a highend uke and I want to be careful not to have it explode. I will continue to try and ask Dennis directly but in the meantime I think I'll try and stay with tension totals at less than 40 lbs in my string combinations until I get the definitive answer. I am looking to experiment to get the best combo of resonance and sustain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom