Koolau CS Custom, worth it?

drose

Reaction score
HI all,

Was looking at the koolau cs customs you can makethrough HMS, and love the sound of the ebony/redwood tenor. But I was wondering is it worth the money if you have it?

Thanks, would like to know from someone who has one.

DRose

I am one of those people who just can't bring myself to custom order a uke.

Usually, I walk into a store full of instruments and find that there are only one or two that really grab me. So what is the chance I am going to order that one or two out of fifty that will speak to me? Seems like the odds are against me. That said, Koolau makes a great instrument.

I'm giving serious thought to a Koolau CS.

I have arrived at a point that I was at years ago regarding guitars.. thinning the herd, so to speak. I was thinking of boiling things down to two ukes - one traditional (Hawaiian, reentrant tuning) and one more "modern" (you know, the ones that people complain aout sounding guitarish - with linear tuning). After watching Kimo Hussey's video with the redwood/milo Koolau, I am starting to think that perhaps a more modern style Hawaiian instrument (made with a Hawaiian wood) could be a good compromise between my two desires (at least for now).

.........I am sure that I will ponder and test for months to come, but I'm getting there.

I owned a Ko'olau model 200 tenor for a while (koa/spruce) and absolutely loved it. based on that, I can almost guarantee that a custom CS from Noa Bonk would blow you away. I've actually missed that model 200 so much that I have been shopping around for a replacement of some sort recently. I came very close to ordering a CS with the milo body and redwood top. Milo is gorgeous wood and the example on HMS just has incredible depth of tone. The problem is that I wouldn't want to custom order one without a slotted headstock, or without the gloss finish, and with those options the price gets pretty steep. I made a sort of compromise and just ordered an old stock Ko'olau model 300 concert with redwood top and koa body. I've enjoyed playing a concert size a lot lately so I think it will be fun to try.

Also, any talk I hear about 'sounding too much like a guitar' just doesn't make sense to me. In my opinion, it's all about find something that sounds amazing, period. I guess I can understand if someone just doesn't like guitars, but personally, I don't care what it is if it sounds great and is a joy to play. If you can afford it, order the CS in tone woods that compliment your other uke(s). It probably won't matter though, as your other ukes will likely get neglected once you get the Ko'olau. One last bit of advice would be to contact HMS or Ko'olau directly and see what your options are. These ukes may be more customizable than what is shown on the HMS website. Good luck!

Also, any talk I hear about 'sounding too much like a guitar' just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, I didn't say it was a bad thing. In fact, I said that the Ko'olau sounded great. However, my personal preference is for something that has a more traditional uke sound.

Last edited:
They're expensive but they're great ukes. Try out other customs from other builders if that's at all possible, they all have their own characteristics (and price ranges) and you should expose yourself to the greatest variety possible before dropping money

They're expensive but they're great ukes. Try out other customs from other builders if that's at all possible, they all have their own characteristics (and price ranges) and you should expose yourself to the greatest variety possible before dropping money

For what you get from a Ko'olau I think they're one of the best values in Custom ukes. But you're right it's best to play as many as you can to make sure you know what you may be getting.

Well, I didn't say it was a bad thing. In fact, I said that the Ko'olau sounded great. However, my personal preference is for something that has a more traditional uke sound.

I've never been into ukes that sound "guitary" until I saw that video of Kimo Hussey demonstrating the redwood/milo uke. I think it's amazing! However, I also love the "classic" uke sound, which to me is percussive and kinda spunky. I have a soprano and a concert, and I particularly like my concert's ability to have a traditional uke sound when I want to, and a more resonant, ringing sound when I want to play that way.

But a light went off when Kimo said he was going to "play to the instrument," and switched from a Uke 101 type of strum to playing in a way that brings out what that Ko'olau can do. If he played "The Girl from Ipanema" on a koa soprano in the same way, no doubt it would sound totally different--even if it's another custom from Ko'olau. Suddenly I could see myself getting a low-G tenor one day, made out of tonewood ususally reserved for guitars.

Top Bottom