What's happening in your shed?

Just finished this Soprano Koa job c/w bindings ..After a first upset and following nervous breakdown ,it didn't turn out too bad in the end :)

Last edited:
Wowww!!! Incomparable!!!

I am waiting for one of your Koa's anyway ... as you know ;) :drool:

You may care to look on a well known website now. Good luck if you decide to bid but, I suspect that the winner will have to pay rather a lot .........

The latest "gang of four"

I have been building in sets of 4, as 4 fit into the workshop, and doing 4 at once helps with process time by doing any given operation to all 4.

Redwood & quilted maple tenor with Richlite fingeroard, pink abalone asymmetric rosette, ebony bridge, koa binding and headplate, black-red-black purfling.

Redwood and local black walnut concert, pink abalone asymmetric rosette, local (Florida) casuarina fingerboard and bridge, curly walnut headplate, curly maple binding, black-white-black diagonal purfling.

Local spruce & local sycamore concert, red sea snail asymmetric rosette, bocote fingerboard and bridge, east indian rosewood binding and headplate, black-white-black diagonal purfling.

Redwood & sapele soprano, local dogwood fingerboard and bridge, dogwood root burl headplate, east indian rosewood binding, black-white-black diagonal purfling.

All of the redwood is old-growth redwood recycled from water tanks.

It is kind of interesting that at this point, with all of these finished, and seeing them together, I kind of forget that I made them. I have been too close for too long and did not see the forest for the trees (can’t escape the wood metaphor). They seem like beautiful objects that some how sprang into existence from somewhere else, and I am merely the lucky recipient.

Time to really clean up the workshop and then go through the wood stash and see what will be next.

IMG_20170621_090814.jpgIMG_20170621_090842.jpgIMG_20170621_090958.jpg

"Next" gets rather experimental. Apple wood cut from a local orchard, an acoustic U-Base with those funny rubbery strings for my sister, some spalted sycamore I got from a neighbor's tree with a local cedar top, and ???(TBD)

I like that mold. A little bit like the Iron Maiden. Those sides ain't going nowhere... But seriously, I've over torqued the spreaders on my mold and stretched things maybe a bit much. I learned that turnbuckles can exert a lot of pressure. Very powerful tool... A little touch here and finger tight.

I like that mold. A little bit like the Iron Maiden. Those sides ain't going nowhere... But seriously, I've over torqued the spreaders on my mold and stretched things maybe a bit much. I learned that turnbuckles can exert a lot of pressure. Very powerful tool... A little touch here and finger tight.

Actually the sides fit the mould very well before the spreader clamps are applied ..as per the one behind ... I clamp it up tight like that to prevent chatter when I sand on the radius dish.

OK Lads time to own up..Who is it ?...Every time a upload one of my obviously brilliant imformative and artistic vid's on youtube...Some one always gives it a thumbs down :(..My family suggest that it is down to the crappy music that I chose for the background....Anyway Just to let you know, I don't care!:nana::nana: ..At least i'm not being ignored ;) I don't think I could stand that.

Last edited:
20170819_171246.jpg
My old fretboard duplicating jig wasn't wide enough for a bass fretboard and it was embarrassingly cobbled together and shabby so I made a new wider one and rather than put a clamping point under it I made a fitted bench hook to go with it. I must admit if I had known how useful a bench hook could be i would have made one years ago.
The fretboard duplicating jig is a simple mitre box with a bit of thin metal so you tape your freboard blank to the back of the precut fretboard, engage the slots of the precut fretboard in the bit of metal saw down from the top and duplicate the fret positions precisely.

OK Lads time to own up..Who is it ?...Every time a upload one of my obviously brilliant imformative and artistic vid's on youtube...Some one always gives it a thumbs down :(..My family suggest that it is down to the crappy music that I chose for the background....Anyway Just to let you know, I don't care!:nana::nana: ..At least i'm not being ignored ;) I don't think I could stand that.

I love your videos Ken. However, I never knew there was music with them. Perhaps this is due to me having my volume shut off. A person can only take hearing Tiny Bubbles just so often. Keep up the good work!

$190 at LMII. Free when cobbled together from stuff lying around the shop.

36731420056_b64be003f0_z.jpg

A cheapie dial indicator will do fine in this application. You shouldn't have to spend more than $20. Think "Harbor Freight".

The aluminum clamp frame is a big plus. An iron frame is a bit heavy and would make the tool a little unwieldy.

And the lever that the $190 deluxe model has isn't necessary, which simplifies the construction considerably.

Top Bottom