What's happening in your shed?

Purty ukes and I love the paua purfling however maybe it was best you changed the bridge shape. I'm not saying it was ugly or awkward or might have looked like a miniature corrective shoe glued to the top or anything like that but... I'm sure it sounded great. New bridge shapes are tough. That is why I go with the boring classical shape. Hard to screw that up, but so boring...

miniature corrective shoe glued to the top

HAHAHAHHA- i love that image- your humor is aligned with me it seems.

For shape, I don't think you can beat a small as possible rectangle for ukes. My first uke bridges were basically a rectangle but with some unnecessary shaping on the wings.
Guitars do benefit from a belly bridge though due to much more string tension, (but all my personal guitars have a small rectangle bridge.)

Beautiful, I've saved it to my things to try! But where's your label? Oh, the top's not attached yet?

Bob

Neck not glued on yet- im about 1 week ill fret this up

P.S
Beaurump is Making Lutherie great again!
Beaurump- the only man who can get both hands in a soprano sound hole at once.
14787102_1203113623141729_1951353508_o.jpg

Last edited:
Just spent part of today setting up the presses and machinary to begin making the first batch of spacing gauges tomorrow...it's amazing how you forget how you did things just a few months ago...The first one off the line took ages to put together.

On the one hand, if you have a quad you also have a triple. But there have been times when the span of the quad has been too narrow when used as a triple. So, I'm in also if you decide to make a wider triple.

On the one hand, if you have a quad you also have a triple. But there have been times when the span of the quad has been too narrow when used as a triple. So, I'm in also if you decide to make a wider triple.

For me, its more about wanting a cheaper 3 pointer that I can leave on the bench and dont have to be as careful with. My 4 and 6 pointers live very safely in a draw.

Good, but lacks the sex appeal of a Timm's creation. :D
Ken's spacing gauge is not for finding one simple center, but for multiple centers, all simultaneously, all pointed out visually, without juggling a slippery center-finding rule on the nut or bridge, for later notches.

My guess is, that there are other uses for this device, maybe beyond the luthier domain.

Rosette with art nouveau engraved leaf in paua and gold mop. (this is actually a guitar rosette. dont be mad)

View attachment 95179
For crying out loud, Beau; hide it. It makes the rest of us sick. Sick with envy. :drool: That settles it, my stuff won't get pictured here. Well, maybe to illustrate a point; that is, how "not" to do it. :bowdown:

In reality, that is the nicest looking rosette inlay, without reservation.

Ken's spacing gauge is not for finding one simple center, but for multiple centers, all simultaneously, all pointed out visually, without juggling a slippery center-finding rule on the nut or bridge, for later notches.

My guess is, that there are other uses for this device, maybe beyond the luthier domain.

I do use a 4 pointer on odd occasions to remove a splinter from my finger :eek:

Top Bottom