What's happening in your shed?

A propper Tahitian for a change. 20180414_103531.jpg

Not quite 2 by 4 challenge. Body from 75by 35 rather than 95 by 45. Fretboard karri face plate blackbutt. Soundboard leftovers from the 2 by 4 challenge. 30 lb nylon on G and A strings 20 lb nylon on C and E which are an octave higher than on a Hawaiian uke.

(I saw a guy playing an old Hofner bass the other night. Wonderful sounding instrument

3kZGsB2.jpg

Some lacewood AKA London plane for the next build.

qaEYOum.jpg

A cherry and meranti body just finished.

iOFliqO.jpg

Fitting pegs for medieval lute.

iXQnFJl.jpg

Shellac drying in the spring sunshine on a medieval lute with cherry body and an oud arbi with sapele and meranti body.

IMG_5881 2.jpg

I've been working on a prototype soprano design to use in my ukulele building classes. I want a simple to build uke that will look great and play well. Much of the work on this uke was on jigs and fixtures to ensure intonation and a successful build for the students.

As this is a first prototype I built it from materials at hand -- cherry back, sides and neck, red cedar top and a sycamore headplate. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony and the nut and saddle are bone.

I'm really pleased with this and plan to spend today making a case for it.

Attachments

• 7583881920_IMG_1396 2.jpg
    7583881920_IMG_1396 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 38
Since we are already talking more than four pegs here is a little nylon six string. Rather than a conventional arm bevel I bent the top so that there was no need for binding. Toasted top, one side came a little close to the fire. Not a concern as it will be my personal guitar. Almost looks like cedar. The rosette was trimmings from an oak log that I cut some wood for backs and sides. This one is just a pine B&S's.

dzyU93x.jpg

I been making a load of neck blocks for a few batches of sopranos I'll be starting on soon...Here they are being radiused ready for the next stage cutting the compound dovetails.

Hey Ken. Does that cowbell-shaped thing have a dust collector connected to the other end?

View attachment 108436

I've been working on a prototype soprano design to use in my ukulele building classes. I want a simple to build uke that will look great and play well. Much of the work on this uke was on jigs and fixtures to ensure intonation and a successful build for the students.

As this is a first prototype I built it from materials at hand -- cherry back, sides and neck, red cedar top and a sycamore headplate. The fingerboard and bridge are ebony and the nut and saddle are bone.

I'm really pleased with this and plan to spend today making a case for it.

That looks like what a proper ukulele should be..and not a mini 4 string guitar. :)

Started on a batch of six sopranos yesterday..and off to a flying start this morning....With six sets of sides bent, two with neck and tail blocks fitted and linings being fitted to the first one off. :cheers: ..I'd show some pics but you've seen it all before ;)

Yes! it does but i disconnected the pipe co's It was getting in the way while I took the photo.

I was going to say if it was, it's not working very well due to the amount of dust by the end block!

h

OK, this is embarrassing. But there is a reason of sorts. Some I am waiting for tuners and fret wire, some need to be mended once the humidity returns to normal, some I just made an extra build, once you are set up it is little effort to knock off another build. Some just dropped off in priority as I started following another shiny object. I made room and collected all my builds that need work from a simple fret job to having the box done and needing a neck and finishing. I am not starting any more new guitars and amplifiers till I get a few of these done.

iGDg1xa.jpg

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

I have been putting together a Cigar Box Uke - I have the Dog nibbled neck from Ken Timms (which seems perfect to me :) ), a reclaimed mahogany soundboard from Kevin Mulcock (as well as bracing wood, kerning and tuners).... all seems to be going well. I have been using Tung Oil, now leaving it to cure for a while before finally putting it all together and working on the nut.
0.1 Box.jpg 4 Timms neck.jpg 15 Bracing complete and sanded.jpg 37 day 4 coat 6 2 100% strength.jpg

Top Bottom