What's happening in your shed?

I haven't managed to finish an ukulele build yet but in the meantime I went for several cajon appetizers. This one was built for a very accomplished young percussionist friend. It's the second one I've built. The first was a more pedestrian "proof of concept" version. I'm currently building one for myself as well. I don't play cajon...yet.

View attachment 104615View attachment 104616View attachment 104617View attachment 104618

The body is walnut ply, the corners are sycamore with bloodwood trim and the front is baltic birch. The walnut was finished with burgundy-tinted shellac to deepen the tone. The sycamore was treated with light coats of tung oil to bring out the texture. The entire cajon was finished in a home-brew wiping varnish. The snare can be turned of when desired.

I've never made instruments before coming to this forum but I have been a woodworking hobbyist for many years. I currently have several ukuleles in various stages of completion. I hope to finish and post them soon.

Nice work! I have been thinking of building a Cajon myself when I get a little free time

Beautiful work Allen! When did you stop doing spanish heel?

I've been contimplating it for several years, but just never got around to swapping production over. But after my month off to Canada in August, I came back and did the switch as I had caught up on the backlog of instruments and it seemed like the time to do it.

I've been contimplating it for several years, but just never got around to swapping production over. But after my month off to Canada in August, I came back and did the switch as I had caught up on the backlog of instruments and it seemed like the time to do it.

We have talked about it as well. It would sure make binding and finishing easier

Ken,
Are they going up for sale on eBay or are these all earmarked for orders?
Mrs P is desperate to spend money on me this Xmas and who am I to argue!
Max

Ken,
Are they going up for sale on eBay or are these all earmarked for orders?
Mrs P is desperate to spend money on me this Xmas and who am I to argue!
Max
I just did a production run of one six pointer, with the purpose of setting up the machines and presses so I can produce a batch of ten 6 pointers for a start....but as the temperature was down to -10 this morning I decided to wait bit before I start.:(...But the first one I made is now on eBay....*EDIT* Now sold.

Last edited:
Hi Ken,
saw this and thought of you:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ciagov/30245415333/in/album-72157674852500522/

OK so what's the medal?

h
Hi Howard...Thats one of the gizmo's I studied before a designed my mini version...The medal is the War Medal 1939 to 1945
The War Medal is awarded to all full time personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving. The medal was granted in addition to campaign stars and the Defence Medal.
To apply for the War Medal, you must have served at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945....I wasnt old enough to get one...But my cousin Billy Timms served in the far East during WW2 and thats his medal ..He passed away 6 years ago.

Last edited:
I love tail grafts and this one is a killer Beau. I am not worthy... I'm not going there. Nope.

Thanks David- here is another endgraft I did yesterday- Note that both of these ukes will be getting pickup jacks, otherwise these end graft designs would be out of proportion. Also, there is some slight of hand here but I shan't mention in public..... we need to keep some tricks !

Last edited:
Thanks David- here is another endgraft I did yesterday- Note that both of these ukes will be getting pickup jacks, otherwise these end graft designs would be out of proportion. Also, there is some slight of hand here but I shan't mention in public..... we need to keep some tricks !

Hey Beau, you might be confusing me (Sequoia) with David Dart who just happens to live just down the road from me. David is a real pro luthier. I'm not a real luthier. I just make ukuleles..... Below are my endgrafts. Note they are pretty straight forward compared with what you do. No real slight of hand here: A rabit and a wedge is all. Does the trick, but I aspire to your level.

DSCN6836.jpg DSCN6984.jpg DSCN7179.jpg DSCN7348.jpg

Hey Beau, you might be confusing me (Sequoia) with David Dart who just happens to live just down the road from me. David is a real pro luthier. I'm not a real luthier. I just make ukuleles..... Below are my endgrafts. Note they are pretty straight forward compared with what you do. No real slight of hand here: A rabit and a wedge is all. Does the trick, but I aspire to your level.

I thought you were DAvid Ingalls from Ono ukes ?-If you are him, I really liked your ukes in Hawaii :)

Hey Beau, nobody has ever confused me with sequoia. He's much smarter and better looking than I am.

That is about the purtiest neck block I ever seen. Just about the purtiest inside of an ukulele I have ever seen too. You put a lot of detail work in there Allen. The back strip is a work of art in itself. It makes the inside of my ukes look homely in comparison. My only question: Why not shellac the braces too?

They do have shellac on them. It all gets one application of the pad. Probably just the lighting and camera angle that doesn't show it.

I like that end graft. It always seemed weird to me that most guys and gals (me included) make a beautiful tapered end graft and then end up blowing a hole for a pickup or end pin. Nice Work Beau.

Top Bottom