What's happening in your shed?

No not another please tell me I have purchased a bargain post. I know exactly what this is. A souvenir grade Leolani soprano ukulele shaped object with cracked and broken friction tuners. Luckily I have some close to matching $1.37 friction tuners off Ebay. A couple of minutes fiddling on the drill with a sharp blade so the bottom of the knob fits inside the base of the friction tuner. Three knobs replaced and tuned it up. Lowered the action at the nut and left the lowering of the saddle to another day.
Not every uke looks beautiful. Not every uke sounds beautiful. But this uke will make music again. This uke made me smile and I hope it made you smile too.

20170905_191111.jpg
20170905_191131.jpg
20170905_192735.jpg

I purchased this uke about twenty years ago, after I heard Jim Beloff, as guest on Minnesota Public Radio, expounding the virtues and ease of playing of the ukulele. Well, twenty years later, I know now that he lied, at least about the playing part, since I still can't play the darn thing!
Anyway, I decided to "upgrade" this cheapo uke that I paid $75 for. It's an all plywood Greg Bennett, with a concert size body and a soprano neck! I plan on replacing the top with spruce and perhaps decreasing the body depth, which is now 2 3/4"
.Greg Bennett 6pg.jpgGreg Bennett 5pg.jpgGreg Bennett 4pg.jpgGreg Bennett 3jpg.jpg

Just in time for fall

One of the latest to get strung up. Spalted sycamore back and sides from a local tree (when a neighbor is found cutting down a big old sycamore, that is opportunity knocking), eastern aromatic cedar top from our property, redheart headplate, fingerboard and bridge, curly koa binding.

Attachments

• IMG_20171025_103554.jpg
    IMG_20171025_103554.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20171025_103634.jpg
    IMG_20171025_103634.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20171025_103656.jpg
    IMG_20171025_103656.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 59
Jupiteruke

Very pretty uke: great combination of woods. I like the contrast between the dark front and lighter rear, set off by the neck wood.

Last edited:
boydellini:

Its good to see you building these ukes (from recycled wood). We don't see too many builds using the methods/tools you are using and I think there's a lot those new to building could learn from following the link. I'ts clear you know how to build instruments and a look around your site confirms this.

Please update with some images of the finished instruments which I can see will be great

I'm not sure that posts in this thread always get the attention they deserve. A new thread and more photos would probably have caught the eye of more viewers.

I haven't managed to finish an ukulele build yet but in the meantime I went for several cajon appetizers. This one was built for a very accomplished young percussionist friend. It's the second one I've built. The first was a more pedestrian "proof of concept" version. I'm currently building one for myself as well. I don't play cajon...yet.

171009_cajon2_149.jpg171009_cajon2_151.jpgIMG_1615.jpgIMG_1617.jpg

The body is walnut ply, the corners are sycamore with bloodwood trim and the front is baltic birch. The walnut was finished with burgundy-tinted shellac to deepen the tone. The sycamore was treated with light coats of tung oil to bring out the texture. The entire cajon was finished in a home-brew wiping varnish. The snare can be turned of when desired.

I've never made instruments before coming to this forum but I have been a woodworking hobbyist for many years. I currently have several ukuleles in various stages of completion. I hope to finish and post them soon.

I also add my thanks to you for posting your step by step construction of your uke. It's very useful to see how others go about building their instruments. Great photos!

Bob

Thank you boydellini. I’ll also add that blogs like yours are what inspire me to try these projects. My gratitude to everyone on this forum for sharing their knowledge and experience.

Thank you. I should add that the snare design isn’t something I came up with but a compilation of ideas I found on the web.

I haven't managed to finish an ukulele build yet but in the meantime I went for several cajon appetizers.
I've never made instruments before coming to this forum but I have been a woodworking hobbyist for many years. I currently have several ukuleles in various stages of completion. I hope to finish and post them soon.

That looks great! I had no idea that you were so skilled with woodworking. I am very impressed. :)

Top Bottom