What's happening in your shed?

I have a garage workshop (with a metal roof) so in winter it's just too damp to build. Decided to build a drum sander to pass the time as even used prices in the UK are too high. Used mainly old parts I had lying around but it seems to work pretty well so far. I used 1/4" thick extruded aluminium pipe (5" diameter) for the drum and once trued covered in hook and loop.
20180224_153603.jpg

Last edited:
Belt runs really true. The rollers are from an old treadmill and are slightly convex which I think helps everything run in a straight line.

I have a garage workshop (with a metal roof) so in winter it's just too damp to build. Decided to build a drum sander to pass the time as even used prices in the UK are too high. Used mainly old parts I had lying around but it seems to work pretty well so far. I used 1/4" thick extruded aluminium pipe (5" diameter) for the drum and once trued covered in hook and loop.
View attachment 106920

You have one heck of a shaft on it. One day I will get around to making a better one.

I am finishing some guitars that I started last year. Remember the 2" x 4" challenge? I built this 00 sized guitar using one 2" x 4", aside from the end blocks, the walnut binding and jatoba fretboard and bridge.

dHRb4d7.jpg

TAcL5u6.jpg

Ken, those fretboards look wonderful. Huge fan of colorful, striped rosewood (also cheeky coffee mugs!)

I'm not a luthier and not even a very good player, but I love following this thread. I feel as if I'm part of a fascinating secret society! Thanks to all of you for sharing your talents.

I'm from Yorkshire..Land of the Yorkshire Puddings...and Mushy Peas...and Yorkshire Airlines. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

Oh gosh, I did laugh at that Vidoe. It’s a long time since I was there but it did ring true to my experience - sometimes I even miss the place but like everywhere else it’s changed and not necessarily for the better. Some fantastic talent in Yorkshire, for example at the last Olympics they ‘got’ more medals than some countries. Tough place, Yorkshire Grit needed at times, but some great talent forged there.

Hey! Printer...you did a nice job with that 2" X 4" :cool:

I have now done the slotting..next job fretting....The Proxxon does a nice neat job.

Timbuck, what kind of jig do you use with your Proxxon to do the fret slotting?

Hey! Printer...you did a nice job with that 2" X 4" :cool:

Thanks. It was interesting measuring back and forth figuring out how to get maximum yield out of it without shortchanging myself for the other parts. At worst I would have made a smaller guitar. This is the first one this large, mainly been making small guitars in the largish uke range.

Last edited:
Timbucck, thanks - I was picturing a Proxxon tool like a Dremel tool that is popular for inlays. Nice setup, and thanks for sharing.

Planed .5mm off the soundboard of my smd concert kit. Now 1.6 mm thick.

IMG_20180311_112051.jpg

Sharpening the plane blade made a huge difference to this, I can see my sharpening skills are going to increase.

Brian

Top Bottom