What's happening in your shed?

That is really pretty. What I like about your work Beau is that you let the wood dictate your designs rather than dictate to the wood what the design is going to be. That is a special talent... Now I am going to shamelessly try to copy the idea. I am not worthy!

Replenishing my stocks after a successful Movember.
A concert length tin uke a concert length bicolour bandsawn bowl uke and a sopranino tin.
20180107_162806.jpg

The back view of the bicolour. Note the extra layer of cross grain tassie oak in there. Maybe next time a more contrasting timber.
20180107_161130.jpg

I like that end graft. It always seemed weird to me that most guys and gals (me included) make a beautiful tapered end graft and then end up blowing a hole for a pickup or end pin. Nice Work Beau.

This is so true. Most of my ukes have pick ups and my straps have a 1-1/2 wide leather end. This covers up the beautiful end graft which is such a shame.

That is an absolutely gorgeous piece of bubinga Beau, magnificent!!!

15153377500461673939972.jpg1515337799065350400838.jpg

Last edited:
I like that end graft. It always seemed weird to me that most guys and gals (me included) make a beautiful tapered end graft and then end up blowing a hole for a pickup or end pin. Nice Work Beau.

Thanks- if i know it is going to get a pickup, i always design around that. I actually had already finished this end graft then thought it would look cool to have the sapwood waterfall over the back, SO i re did 3/4 of it.

I love the first application of epoxy pore filler. It's when I really get a sense of what the instrument is going to look like under finish.

Blackwood Baritone Pore Fill1.jpgBlackwood Baritone Pore Fill2.jpg

Wood Quiz:

I found an interesting board today with unusual figure for its species and almost perfectly quarter sawn. Any guesses?

24757309497_c38ee1c57c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thought but I doubt it. The dark lines go clear through the board more or less following the grain and are pretty consistent over a length of about twelve feet. Seen in the end grain, the lines are a lot like what you would see in ziricote. The wood is very sound and, when seen in person, doesn’t appear to be spalted. It looks like it grew that way.

Beautiful work as always, Beau.

So here we have the Blue Frog Butt Flosser 2018.

The neck slider thingie is spring loaded. I was going to make an improved one for concerts and tenors but I've decided to go dovetail on those. The contacting faces on the side rails have 1/8 plexi so everything operates smoothly. Was going to add a toggle hold-down for the neck but it hasn't been needed so far. The 1/8 reinforcement channel in the neck fits snuggly on the 1/8 aluminum bar on the neck slider thingie.

Blue Frog Butt Flosser 2018.jpg

Last edited:
Wood Quiz:

I found an interesting board today with unusual figure for its species and almost perfectly quarter sawn. Any guesses?

24757309497_c38ee1c57c_z.jpg

When I first looked at the picture I though it is ziricote for sure. Now I'm not so sure... The black lines look almost like spalting rather than grain. African black limba maybe? Please let us know the answer.

Yep. Besides it's unusual and attractive appearance, that's the reason I bought the wood. Chances are it will make a good instrument.

Top Bottom