What's happening in your shed?

This just came off my bench. It is a gift for my parents. The back, sides and head plate are walnut that was cut about 30 years ago from trees on my grandparents' property. My dad saved a couple of the pieces, which had been cut to about 12" long for firewood. In order to use this wood I make three-piece sides, with a short filler piece at the heel. The top on this one is sinker redwood from California. The rosette is made from five types of wood.

LN_Soprano_Uke_01 by Thomas Snape, on Flickr

LN_Soprano_Uke_02 by Thomas Snape, on Flickr

LN_Soprano_Uke_03 by Thomas Snape, on Flickr

I've got "orders" for at least three more ukes in que (so far I only build freebies for family and friends) but I have to get this banner Gibson J45 off the bench first.

Sams_J45.jpg

it's absolutely stunning Tom, and thank you for the back story.
what a beautiful gift to your parents.

This just came off my bench. It is a gift for my parents. The back, sides and head plate are walnut that was cut about 30 years ago from trees on my grandparents' property. My dad saved a couple of the pieces, which had been cut to about 12" long for firewood. In order to use this wood I make three-piece sides, with a short filler piece at the heel. The top on this one is sinker redwood from California. The rosette is made from five types of wood.

I've got "orders" for at least three more ukes in que (so far I only build freebies for family and friends) but I have to get this banner Gibson J45 off the bench first.

View attachment 142032
That walnut is gorgeous.

My latest wood project is neither a bowl nor a musical instrument, but a wooden bench plane. Since good wooden planes can fetch a fair bit of $$$, I decided to build one using a hardware kit and some Cherry and Black Walnut I had laying around the shop. I just finished sharpening and polishing the iron this afternoon. The curls of Black Walnut and American Chestnut indicate I've got it dialed to my satisfaction. A very satisfying project indeed. 17 3/4" long with a 2 1/4" wide iron. It will get a lot of use in future uke projects. Next is a 7" #2 low angle block plane. I use power tools all the time, but I truly enjoy using hand planes, as well.

plane 080622.jpg

My latest wood project is neither a bowl nor a musical instrument, but a wooden bench plane. Since good wooden planes can fetch a fair bit of $$$, I decided to build one using a hardware kit and some Cherry and Black Walnut I had laying around the shop. I just finished sharpening and polishing the iron this afternoon. The curls of Black Walnut and American Chestnut indicate I've got it dialed to my satisfaction. A very satisfying project indeed. 17 3/4" long with a 2 1/4" wide iron. It will get a lot of use in future uke projects. Next is a 7" #2 low angle block plane. I use power tools all the time, but I truly enjoy using hand planes, as well.

View attachment 142315
That’s a beautiful tool! You mention chestnut, and I’m curious about something. Do luthiers ever make uke bodies from reclaimed chestnut or elm?

That’s a beautiful tool! You mention chestnut, and I’m curious about something. Do luthiers ever make uke bodies from reclaimed chestnut or elm?
Sure. You can get "reclaimed wood" in about any species. Here is some reclaimed walnut for a good price:

Fullscreen capture 862022 75745 PM.jpg

Gonna have to do some serious thinning for ukulele plates since it is half inch, but doable if you want walnut.

A goat ukulele.
The body is made from meranti using a bandsawn bowl method. The face is burned in using pyrography. The coin is a 1991 penny coin token from the Royal Australian Mint. The fretboard is karri and the pink fret dots punched from a mineral water bottle lid.
Without a doubt just about the cutest uke I have made in a while.

20220808_140611_copy_465x1008_1.jpg

20220808_140619_copy_465x1008_1.jpg

20220808_140636_copy_465x1008_1.jpg

Recently built a couple of guitars based on Gibson L-00 plans, but struggled to find any "decent" pickguards or material blanks that weren't ridiculous prices. £62 for a pickguard!! Plastic!!! So I've been experimenting making some with epoxy and dyes.

View attachment 142034
And this is where they ended up!
L-00collage.jpg

More hand tool fun. I used the bench plane I recently made to thin a piece of Cherry for a Ryoba saw handle. This saw cut through the 2" thick piece of dense Hophornbeam effortlessly. I wouldn't want to get a finger in the way. Both the plane and Ryoba will be used for various steps in future uke construction.

ryoba 1.jpg
ryoba 2.jpg

B9E99554-F73A-4A1D-9E89-403854E261B7.jpeg

alright 2 out of the 11 currently being worked on are setup. 1 is right behind. another 3 are ready for level sanding and buffing. 4 have necks roughed and 1 needs inlay work for the fingerboard. don’t think my goal of getting them all done this month is happening but kids starting school has been a lot more work than i anticipated (one school required sewing 3 projects!). also i might start 2 more ‘ukes soon. ha.

View attachment 142032
The rosette looks like it is spinning. I love it!

Now those are some different looking ukes. I like the one on the left using the natural sound hole.... What is going on with the fretboards though I cannot tell. Very colorful. Is it dyed wood or???

Now those are some different looking ukes. I like the one on the left using the natural sound hole.... What is going on with the fretboards though I cannot tell. Very colorful. Is it dyed wood or???
Thanks! out of those two I thought my ear was going to gravitate more towards the spruce top but for these two it went towards the all koa with the live edge. that all koa sound really reminds me of my childhood in hawai‘i.

the fingerboard is a scene of the mokulua islands at sunrise off of oahu. it’s made with different stabilized / dyed woods and other inlay material. i’m going to do a few of them this year and next year maybe choose a different island.

C4BEEEF9-A4CA-4395-8834-6CFB198260C4.jpeg

Folks- I don't have a shed. I have a basement but it's jammed with stored possessions which leaves just enough floor space for a gas-powered pressure washer, home made drill press, a few hand tools, and a metal sawhorse with a lever-activated clamp. I covet and admire both your shops and your craftsmanship. I'm a tinkerer and a "plunker".

For several weeks I've cast about for a way to correct the slight concavity in my DIY soprano's soundboard. I'm not certain whether the slight dip has developed in the 7 months since I first tightened the strings to GCEA re-entry or if it came this way out of the box. Though I choose to believe the latter, either way it annoys me and can't possibly be good for volume or intonation. The fix I've arrived at is pictured here. I'll call it the "Blackwell Uke Pier Jack".

What I've done is begun with a base that's intended to be rigid enough to prevent the pier jack from immediately causing a stress crack in the back of the sound body, and not so long that I won't be able to finagle it into the 1.9375-inch-diameter sound hole to install. The base is a repurposed, 4-inch section of a rule that was a customer gift given by a community bank that failed in 2010. How's that for carbon footprint? My additional thought process for the base what that it needed to have enough width so that it won't topple when pushed from the sound hole toward and under the north edge of my uke's 0.125-inch-thick veneer bridge block.

Next is a repurposed and otherwise obsolete plastic 35-mm film canister. I've kept a pile of these on hand but have seldom used them for anything other than to keep track of my banjo picks. With my pocketknife, I cut enough off the canister's top opening to leave a north-south slope of approximately 10 degrees, then used a handheld one-hole punch to make 3 holes in the side that will face the sound hole, not so much expecting to gain any boost in volume by doing so but to prevent the loss thereof.

Last is a used up semi-rigid plastic gift card that was a 2021 Christmas gift from one of my employer's vendors. I chose the card because my little brain surmised that the material that will make direct contact with the bridge block at the 10-degree angle should be thin yet rigid but should also produce the least possible friction while being pushed from the sound hole south to its final destination under the front edge of the bridge block.

Next, I super-glued the film canister cap (top) to the direct center of the wooden ruler's base, bottom-seal up, then affixed the canister itself to the slightly-trimmed gift card in the same manner. I surmised that it's physically vital for the gadget to start in two separate pieces, for the dual purpose of enabling me to finagle it into the sound body in the first place, but also to enable relative ease of removal if the pier jack prototype proves useless or (worst case) cracks the soundboard. Meanwhile, because the 'click seal' between the now-angled canister and its cap remains as tight as before it was angled, I'm confident that the canister can easily stand up to the relatively light pressure it's intended to support.

PLEASE, please reply with opinions, advice, strong cautions, outright but good natured heckles and predictions. A virtual wager pool comes to mind but that's a discussion for another day. . .
Cheers!
Clark [Oldscruggsfan]
Canton, GA USA

Attachments

• Blackwell uke bridge jack 1.jpg
    Blackwell uke bridge jack 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Blackwell uke bridge jack 2.jpg
    Blackwell uke bridge jack 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Blackwell uke bridge jack 3.jpg
    Blackwell uke bridge jack 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
In my opinion, a certain amount of dip is quite normal in the top of a soprano ukulele. I've got upwards of a dozen sops. and every one of them has the characteristic slight but discernible 'dip and bulge'. It becomes unacceptable when it causes the bridge/saddle to lean noticeably. Whether it needs to be corrected is a judgement call.

I've been building and repairing ukes for about twenty-five years and I have twice tried to deal with a problem dip in a way similar to yours. I used a simple sound post, a bit like those used in violins. As a way of supporting the top, the method worked well enough but it ruined the tone and volume of the ukes.

I hope you have more success.

In my opinion, a certain amount of dip is quite normal in the top of a soprano ukulele. I've got upwards of a dozen sops. and every one of them has the characteristic slight but discernible 'dip and bulge'. It becomes unacceptable when it causes the bridge/saddle to lean noticeably. Whether it needs to be corrected is a judgement call.

I've been building and repairing ukes for about twenty-five years and I have twice tried to deal with a problem dip in a way similar to yours. I used a simple sound post, a bit like those used in violins. As a way of supporting the top, the method worked well enough but it ruined the tone and volume of the ukes.

I hope you have more success.
John- Thank you, kind sir, for responding. You hit precisely on my primary fear - that my "pier jack" will further mute an already-quiet-toned and low quality uke. I've never owned another uke and am relieved to hear that the dip is normal for sops. My hearing is shot, my back aches and my hair is nearly white, but my uke bridge does not noticeably lean.

Top Bottom