What's happening in your shed?

That is a very attractive creation, Sam. You must be very pleased with the result. (y)

Several instruments being strung up this week. I love the way that Black MOP looks like a rainbow.

View attachment 144701
The MOP at the rosette is . . . I don't have the vocabulary to express the unique beauty of those pearled arcs. Much of the language in Song of Solomon / Song of Songs KJV comes to mind.

Excellent progress on the newest project in recent days. Laser engraving the headstock took a lot of time to set up, with many tests, as I had one shot to get it right. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the progress for a day or three before proceeding on with the fretboard and bridge.

PA260051.JPG

Excellent progress on the newest project in recent days. Laser engraving the headstock took a lot of time to set up, with many tests, as I had one shot to get it right. I'm going to sit back and enjoy the progress for a day or three before proceeding on with the fretboard and bridge.

View attachment 144709
Wow.

Here is my first and only commissioned ukulele, a african mahogany tenor with maple binding and headplate and rosewood finger board and bridge. I built it for one of the missionaries who visit my wife. They are very nice kids who mean well and love to have a break from their duties to play a little ukulele. It turned out well, good volume and intonation with a reverse fan brace. My client was pleased but I really don't like building to order. I like to build for myself and if it is good enough I might sell it or keep it or give it away, depending on circumstances.

IMG_1377.jpgIMG_1375.jpg

I never really liked building on commission either. I'd rather be, I make 'em, you buy 'em. But I think it can be lucrative. As long as you control things and there is the rub.

I started my love of woodworking in the sailboat world. I have owned and worked on many wooden sailboats and have come to really appreciate Teak as a beautiful, easy to work, glue and finish wood. I wonder if anyone has used Teak for a stringed instrument? It is in the midrange for density, 41 Ibs per cubic foot, I'm not sure how stiff it is. What do you think?

I’ve really enjoyed making custom commission ukes so far. it really opens up a whole world of ideas that I wouldn’t have thought of and definitely has pushed me to be a better builder faster.

I was looking around Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle this morning and came across this piece of Pommele Sapele, 9.5" by 48" by 3/4". enough for at least two tenors depending on how thin I can resaw it. My question is should I take any special precautions when bending the sides on this figured wood? I remember reading that soaking figured wood before bending is not a good idea! Has anyone experienced problems with bending wood like this. Thanks Jim

IMG_1810.jpg

P. S. relating to my last post. I left a 8ft piece of that board at the store, it might be still available.

Wild looking wood... I have no experience with this wood specifically, but have bent some highly figured wood and I always soak a little bit. No problems. Yet.

'heart' abalone pearl is where the muscle of the abalone was directly attached to the shell. It is very fine grained and kind of 'bubbly' looking, rather than broadly pearly. I normally did not use the heart paua abalone (Haliotis iris) for much, it was kind of waste from the regular paua abalone pearl. I had a customer a while back who, after looking through my pearl types, wanted a heart paua abalone pearl rosette in a Port Orford cedar top. Well, that rosette came out really well, so ...
I decided to do one again, this time in a redwood top. It really makes an interesting rosette.
Since the last one came out so well, I decided to do its sibling in heart abalone also, but this time it is in pink abalone ((Haliotis corrugata) instead of paua abalone.

Attachments

• Capture-2.JPG
    Capture-2.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 26
  • Capture-1.JPG
    Capture-1.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 27
I got the first ukulele together using the pommele sapele I showed earlier. The sapele was fairly easy to work and glued and finished well. I still need to do the final sanding and polishing after the lacquer fully cures. It is very hard to wait though, I ended up using lattice bracing and really want to hear what it sounds like.

IMG_1828.jpg

Top Bottom