What's happening in your shed?

Just strung this up for the first time and I'm really surprised how good it sounds. Still need to finish the setup, but I'll let it sit under tension for a little bit before finalizing the saddle/nut/bridge and crowning the frets/cleaning the fretboard
IMG_2393.jpg

Here is my latest build, a tenor with African Mahogany top, Pommele Sapele sides and back, Rosewood bridge and fingerboard. I strung it up yesterday with Martin M 600 clear fluorocarbon strings high G. So far I not crazy about these strings, they seem higher tension and not as warm as the Living Water strings I usually use. I will try them for a week or two and hear what happens!

IMG_2184.jpgIMG_2179.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2181.jpg

All work in the shed stopped for a few days ... Mrs T is having a new kitchen fitted and the workshop is now full of pots and pans fryers microwave utensils fridge freezer dishes etc: and loads of canned products foodstuff and all that. :(View attachment 153430
Well, I am sorry that the shop has become storage. Good luck with surviving the renovation process and I hope the end results are enjoyed by those who use the space the most.

trying out z-poxy again for a pore filler. always impressed with how much it pops the wood grain.

View attachment 151766View attachment 151767

I really hope i one day find a pore filling technique that works for me. I feel like i’ve tried so much and they all have their pros and cons. CA glue had nice results but i can’t stand the feeling of my face melting off (even with a full face mask and gluboost fill). I really wanted to like aquacoat, super easy to use but i find it’s just too risky with turning koa green even with various sanding sealer techniques. I gave up on french polish, just wasn’t seeing results i like with how much work i put into it. blah blah blah. let’s get back to sanding this z-poxy level.
One of the best things I did in my shop was to stick a shop vac outside and run a pipe through the wall under the desk where I do my pore filling. Hooked it to a 3.5" deep box with lots of holes to act as a downdraft box. I put some removable extensions on three sides to make for more directed vacuum flow. It works great for CA pore filling and hand sanding. Zpoxy works the best for me but I have had a hard time finding the light amber and don't generally like the darker.

Incredible artistry!!
Does a "live edge" instrument sound different than one with a conventional sound hole?
Dare I ask--Is this masterpiece spoken for?

thanks so much!

i do believe everything affects the sound in some little way. but with that said i have made quite a few live edge ukes and standard soundhole ukes and the differences weren’t really noticeable to my ear. koa with a live edge and koa with standard soundhole both sound like koa ukes to me. i think bracing and wood selection make much bigger differences. i haven’t really been able to build 2 ukes at the same time, with wood from the same tree, similar bracing, but one with and one without livedge. would be cool to try that one day.

this one is headed to the southern ukulele store for sale. i have another very similar one right behind it and hoping it makes it to the ukulele site.

One of the best things I did in my shop was to stick a shop vac outside and run a pipe through the wall under the desk where I do my pore filling. Hooked it to a 3.5" deep box with lots of holes to act as a downdraft box. I put some removable extensions on three sides to make for more directed vacuum flow. It works great for CA pore filling and hand sanding. Zpoxy works the best for me but I have had a hard time finding the light amber and don't generally like the darker.
oh that sounds so ideal! as a newer home owner i’m freaked out by putting holes in the wall. ha. one day though.i

and lately i’ve been pretty happy with the zpoxy. didn’t realize it came in dark!

Kitchen refit now done ...and I've got my workshop back again .... Mrs T is happy now , so I am happy now (also skint) ...Next batch of sopranos on the way to help pay for it :)
View attachment 154005
Pretty sure there are quite a few generous souls here willing to sacrifice towards that good cause.

Glad you're back in your workshop again and that the kitchen is no longer a construction zone.

I just finished up this one, made for fun. I got the idea one day when I spotted a pallet that was being discarded that had some interesting boards, which turned out to be mostly quarter-sawn cherry. The other woods used in this project were saved at various times.

All of the wood parts in this ukulele were salvaged from shipping pallets and crates, except the neck is from construction demolition debris. It is a standard soprano sized body with a 13.75 scale neck, joined at the 13th fret. It uses Spanish heel construction, a zero fret, and through-the-top string anchoring.

Salvaged materials:
Cherry pallet boards: Back, sides, head plate, bridge plate, and solid linings
Spruce (part of a skid used to ship a heavy piece of equipment from Germany): Top and bracing
Unknown hard wood pallet board (very hard and dark): Fingerboard, bridge, and soundhole trim
Douglas fir from demolition: Neck
Hardwood (birch?) plywood from a crate shipped from Amsterdam: Heel block

It's strung up with Seaguar flourocarbon fishing line and sounds pretty good!Completed_01 A.jpg

Completed_02.JPG

I just finished up this one, made for fun. I got the idea one day when I spotted a pallet that was being discarded that had some interesting boards, which turned out to be mostly quarter-sawn cherry. The other woods used in this project were saved at various times.

All of the wood parts in this ukulele were salvaged from shipping pallets and crates, except the neck is from construction demolition debris. It is a standard soprano sized body with a 13.75 scale neck, joined at the 13th fret. It uses Spanish heel construction, a zero fret, and through-the-top string anchoring.

Salvaged materials:
Cherry pallet boards: Back, sides, head plate, bridge plate, and solid linings
Spruce (part of a skid used to ship a heavy piece of equipment from Germany): Top and bracing
Unknown hard wood pallet board (very hard and dark): Fingerboard, bridge, and soundhole trim
Douglas fir from demolition: Neck
Hardwood (birch?) plywood from a crate shipped from Amsterdam: Heel block

It's strung up with Seaguar flourocarbon fishing line and sounds pretty good!View attachment 154054

View attachment 154055
Actually not too bad wood in this one. I have a pallet guitar that is just looking for an appropriate top. Birch back and sides, neck from a dining table leg that I found at the side of the road, white oak for the fretboard. I have a cedar top on it right now but it was bought, maybe I should keep my eye out for a cedar fence board?

tmtfUEc.jpg

Actually not too bad wood in this one. I have a pallet guitar that is just looking for an appropriate top. Birch back and sides, neck from a dining table leg that I found at the side of the road, white oak for the fretboard. I have a cedar top on it right now but it was bought, maybe I should keep my eye out for a cedar fence boar
I have another one that's almost done made from various surplus building materials: clapboards, flooring and wainscoting boards.

Top Bottom