What's happening in your shed?

So this is a question for Sam and Tony, do you glue the fingerboard to the neck before or after you fret it? I'm fretting before gluing the board on and also filing the frets flush to the board and beveling the edges on my bench.

Photographic perspective can give a very false impression. Looking at the two photos above, the bridge plate looks as though it would not be placed directly below the bridge - or is that not the final resting place for the bridge?
No, the bridge was just in that position for the pic. It will sit directly over the plate.
So this is a question for Sam and Tony, do you glue the fingerboard to the neck before or after you fret it? I'm fretting before gluing the board on and also filing the frets flush to the board and beveling the edges on my bench.
I have done it both ways. For this one, I will install and file the frets flush prior to gluing the fretboard on the neck. I also use a notched caul to make sure the fretboard is straight and firmly attached to the neck.

I fret before gluing the board to the neck.

The venetian ukuleles I've been making have a really weird build order. First I glue the top to the sides, since the width at the end of the body determines my 12th fret width. I plane that width into a lightly slotted board, glue the board to the neck, and then use a gouge to trim the sides. Then I glue and bolt the neck to the top/sides. After the neck is on I trim the heel and glue the back. At this point my neck is still uncarved, I plane some relief into the fretboard, saw the fret slots to final depth and then fret it.

Also my fretboards are basically veneers, they start out at 3.2mm so they probably wouldn't be stable enough to fret separately.

Finish sanded, vacuumed, and wiped clean with naphtha. I'm very pleased with how the bindings turned out. They required very little scraping to blend cleanly into the body. It only took me 17 instruments to do a binding job with 100% satisfaction. Some were close, but this is my best.

finish sanded spalted~2.jpg

That is a very nice looking ukulele, well done. I had the opposite result with my last jnstrument and I hope someone can give me some advice. I grabbed the wrong router bit when I went to route out my binding channel. I have two bits I use, one cuts a very clean channel the other not so clean, I grabbed the wrong bit and this is the result. I tried to sand it out but it is to deep. Any ideas on how to fix this, it is a very nice uke, I hate to leave it like this.

IMG_2360.jpg

That is a good idea but the fingerboard and bridge are glued on with Tite Bond, I'm not sure I could remove them without making it worse; and I don't think I could cut a purfling channel with them in place!

That is a very nice looking ukulele, well done. I had the opposite result with my last jnstrument and I hope someone can give me some advice. I grabbed the wrong router bit when I went to route out my binding channel. I have two bits I use, one cuts a very clean channel the other not so clean, I grabbed the wrong bit and this is the result. I tried to sand it out but it is to deep. Any ideas on how to fix this, it is a very nice uke, I hate to leave it like this.

View attachment 159614
Wish I had words of advice, Jim. I've had to re-rout binding channels a couple of times because I didn't like the way the bindings fit, but I have fortunately not had any major tear-out issues.

That is a good idea but the fingerboard and bridge are glued on with Tite Bond, I'm not sure I could remove them without making it worse; and I don't think I could cut a purfling channel with them in place!
They used to cut purfling channels by hand with a sharp blade fixed in a block of wood shaped in such a way as to guide the blade a certain distance from the edge. That said maybe don't run the purling all the way around. Get creative in your purfling design. Art isn't even. Uniformity is boring.

They used to cut purfling channels by hand with a sharp blade fixed in a block of wood shaped in such a way as to guide the blade a certain distance from the edge. That said maybe don't run the purling all the way around. Get creative in your purfling design. Art isn't even. Uniformity is boring. Do a wood burn design. Think of it as an opportunity not a mistake.

It can be done with a sharp chisel and tuck the ends under the fretboard. This is how you do bindings when doing a Spanish heel. I've done it and it is seamless as long as you are careful to cut the channel. Don't go too big. It only has to be a half centimeter deep or so.

I just strung up my latest uke , working on the set up now. It is another lattice braced tenor, East Indian Rosewood sides and back, torrified Spruce for the top and Honduras mahogany for the neck . The bridge , fingerboard , headplate and binding are more of the Rosewood. I like the lattice bracing , it gives a nice balance across the strings.

img_2372-jpg.160473
IMG_2369.jpgIMG_2367.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 161
Wow. How does it sound? I saw a Maestro padauk video and loved the sound
Like an ukulele (kidding!). But, seriously, it sounded fine at string-up but left my possession the next day, so not much data. The padauk teardrops I have made sound very nice and full.

Top Bottom