Pono Tenors - ATD or MTD?

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
Help me make a decision. Acacia or Mahogany?

I just deleted everything I typed, so here's a shorter version.

I have a mahogany and a cedar topped acacia. I prefer the acacia/cedar, but it's from the top end of the pono line so it's not a fair comparison. Both sound great, and I still am playing both of them.

Andrew at HMS posted a video on his blog the other day of a comparisonof several pono tenors. I'd recommend looking at it to see if it helps or confuses your search.
http://theukulelereview.com/2013/03/10/hms-listening-booth-pono-tenor-in-various-tonewoods/

Acacia. Listen to my videos for sound samples from a not so good uker and just ignore the singing... You will love the sound of this uke. And the prettiness is a huge bonus!

Thanks

Was leaning Mahogany yesterday, Acacia today. In some ways I can't make a mistake whichever I choose.

I've watched all the HMS tutorials and comparisons. Very helpful.

If I'm gonna dither I should play a zither, no?

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I haven't played an acacia, but I have an MTD and it's a beautiful instrument.

Your question is a bit akin to asking an individual if they prefer jazz or blues -- tone is such an individualized & subjective thing! What sounds amazing to me, may be mediocre to another individual. Best advice is to try to get somewhere & play them both. If that's not possible, at least attempt to play several comparable models in each wood variety. I believe you'll get a sense for your preference in tonewood between the two, although specific manufacturers/models will definitely also affect the ultimate sound, the general characteristics will definitely be evident!

Good luck!

Yeah, either way you'll be happy. I have a Pono tenor in mahogany and it sounds great. I have a Pono baritone in acacia and it, too, is wonderful!

I just went to our local Pono dealer two days ago. The mahogany (they had two) couldn't compete with the acacia (they had one). Not even close. The acacia made the mahoganys sound like toys. I was surprised at the difference.

Bullet bitten! Just placed order with HMS for Pono ATD and KoAlana Concert plus a bunch of string sets. Stepping up from my Luna Tattoo Concert and Lanikai LU-21P.

How do I list my ukulele family under my posts?

You've munched that bullet with style! I was just looking at HMS video of the same models last night -- apparently, great minds think alike!
:agree:

Bullet bitten! Just placed order with HMS for Pono ATD and KoAlana Concert plus a bunch of string sets. Stepping up from my Luna Tattoo Concert and Lanikai LU-21P.

How do I list my ukulele family under my posts?

How nice to have affirmation of a decision (or we're both wrong, whichever). I went back and forth between the ATD and MTD for two weeks. I ordered the ATD yesterday.

If you guys looking at Pono's haven't bought yet, HMS has a listing for an acacia/cedar tenor with cutaway blem. I love the sound of this combination, and the blem on my Pono is barely noticeable. Looks like they have some concert blems as well.

The concert looks like a good bargain - tenor has cedar top, which doesn't really open up like mahogany & tends to ding fairly easily (certainly does on guitars, don't see why would be any different on a uke..) Still a good deal for someone looking for a cedar top.

Thanks for the reminder to check that blems / specials link regularly!

If you guys looking at Pono's haven't bought yet, HMS has a listing for an acacia/cedar tenor with cutaway blem. I love the sound of this combination, and the blem on my Pono is barely noticeable. Looks like they have some concert blems as well.

The KoAlana and the Pono arrived today. Both are great to look at, hold, and play. Review and pix will have to wait for tomorrow.

Top Bottom