Is this a good deal?

theerosion

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to start off on ukulele and found a local seller selling this item:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/3666762087.html

I emailed him and he is willing to take $200 for it. Seems like a great deal. I'm trying to get more information from him since there isn't much on the post. He gave me a local phone number so doesn't seem like a scan.

Assuming everything seems to check out, would this be a good deal or would I be better of buying a brand new Uke in the $200 range? I am a Gibson fanboy, all of my acoustics are Gibsons and I have a vintage acoustic so having a vintage gibson uke is appealing to me for that alone, although it might not be sound.

What do you guys think?

$200.00 is a good deal provided there are no major structure issues. I almost pulled the plug a while back on a Gibson soprano but just did not care for the sound, seemed damp/muffled (and it was 600.00 before negotiations). Gibson was not known for their uke making which I always thought was odd. They made the best mandolins and most will argue for their guitars/basses. Having this in your Gibson collection would be cool though. Just my 2cents...

Actually, it is a smokin' deal! I have a similar Gibson, and it is wonderful. Gibson ukuleles are every bit as fine as Martin, they just got in the ukulele building business kind of late, and there just aren't as many out there. If you can get this for $200, even if it needs some repairs, you would be doing very well.

I play my Gibson as much or more than my Martin. Mine is bright, punchy, and lightly built. You won't find a modern ukulele of this quality very easily. If this ukulele were near me I would jump on it.

Top Bottom