Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lanikai LU-21 vs. Kala KA-S vs. Rogue Ukulele

Default Lanikai LU-21 vs. Kala KA-S vs. Rogue Ukulele

Hello!
    I've been looking into purchasing and learning how to play the ukulele for the past few months. I have been leaning towards the Lanikai LU-21 Soprano (about $50-$70 on eBay), but the Kala KA-S is also a few bucks cheaper, and the Rogue is almost $30 cheaper.
    If anyone could compare these for me that would be great!
    Also, are Aquila strings great for beginners?
    Thank you again!
    Last edited by lumahh; 03-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.

I can't speak intelligently on the Rogue or Kala, but one of the first ukes I owned was a Lanikai LU-21. Still have it and still love it!

I would encourage you to go for either that one or the Kala (I've heard a ton of good things about that entry level Kala). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by UKEonomics View Post
    I can't speak intelligently on the Rogue or Kala, but one of the first ukes I owned was a Lanikai LU-21. Still have it and still love it!

I would encourage you to go for either that one or the Kala (I've heard a ton of good things about that entry level Kala). Good luck!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lanikai LU-21 comes with Aquila strings right?
    And thank you!

Hello and welcome to UU! Here is my 2cents...I still own my Lanikai LU21 and will not part with it. It has gotten better over time and was one of my first ukes. I also had a Kala KA-S. The Kala is a great beginner uke but not as "full" of a sound as the Lanikai. I sold mine after a few months. I have never owned the Rogue but played them in a local store. I would not buy the Rogue-there is a reason it is less expensive. With that being said (and not bashing Rogue), almost any uke can be set up and with proper strings, sound decent. But the money you would put into a $40.00 uke, you could buy a decent one, ready to go (like Lanikai or Kala entry level). If you can afford the Lanikai-do it. It is a great uke to begin with.

Aquila strings are great strings, still have them on my Lanikai 21, Flea and sometimes put them on my Kamaka pineapple. Best of luck with whatever you choose...play the heck out of it and have fun!
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by lumahh View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lanikai LU-21 comes with Aquila strings right?
    And thank you!
    All new LU21's that I have seen come with Aquila's.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Lao-tzu

For what it's worth, i picked up a rogue as my first uke at a flea market, and even after restringing it, it was almost enough to put me off ever playing a uke again. Intonation was terrible, and no matter what I did to the tuners, it wouldn't stay in tune for more than a few minutes. With what I know now, I've gone back and worked on it to try to make it play better, but it still seems awful to me.
    Last edited by aquadan; 03-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    National Style 0 Resonator : Timms Style 0 : Koaloha Longneck Pineapple : Pono TE-C Electric
    Pono MT : Pono ATSHC-C : Harmony Baritone : Tin Bin Canjulele

Quote Originally Posted by uke552 View Post
    All new LU21's that I have seen come with Aquila's.
    Ditto. Mine came with Aquila's and are a good fit for the LU-21.

I've not played the other two, but the Kala KA-S is a nice little ukulele for the price. I like mine. They also ship with Aquila strings installed.

Welcome to the board and good shopping.

I've owned both the Lanikai and the Kala - sold the Kala and kept the Lanikai. After restringing it (with Living Water strings) and after several months of owning it, the sound is fuller, louder, warmer. The Kala was ok - but the sound was not as rich/full.

I have experiences with all three ukes. I personally own a Lanikai LU-21. I have given away two Rogues, and a friend of mine has the Kala. The Lanikai and Kala are pretty much the same uke, though the finish on the Kala is more of a semi-gloss where the Lanikai has a rough matte finish. Both ukes sound the basically the same (though my Lanikai sounds just a hair better), feel the same, and are both just a blast, so if you narrow it down to those two, go for the less expensive one. My Lanikai and my friend's Kala both came with Aquila strings. The Rogue... pass on it. I have had two. Both needed a really, really good setup just to sound OK. I have since given both away to two teens I am currently teaching. Besides, if you are a beginner, you might be better off having geared tuners anyhow, which you will get with the Lanikai and Kala.

Dan

Thread Information