Lanikai LU-21 vs. Kala KA-S vs. Rogue Ukulele

lumahh

Reaction score
Hello!
I've been looking into purchasing and learning how to play the ukulele for the past few months. I have been leaning towards the Lanikai LU-21 Soprano (about $50-$70 on eBay), but the Kala KA-S is also a few bucks cheaper, and the Rogue is almost $30 cheaper.
If anyone could compare these for me that would be great!
Also, are Aquila strings great for beginners?
Thank you again!

Last edited:
I can't speak intelligently on the Rogue or Kala, but one of the first ukes I owned was a Lanikai LU-21. Still have it and still love it!

I would encourage you to go for either that one or the Kala (I've heard a ton of good things about that entry level Kala). Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lanikai LU-21 comes with Aquila strings right?
And thank you!

Hello and welcome to UU! Here is my 2cents...I still own my Lanikai LU21 and will not part with it. It has gotten better over time and was one of my first ukes. I also had a Kala KA-S. The Kala is a great beginner uke but not as "full" of a sound as the Lanikai. I sold mine after a few months. I have never owned the Rogue but played them in a local store. I would not buy the Rogue-there is a reason it is less expensive. With that being said (and not bashing Rogue), almost any uke can be set up and with proper strings, sound decent. But the money you would put into a $40.00 uke, you could buy a decent one, ready to go (like Lanikai or Kala entry level). If you can afford the Lanikai-do it. It is a great uke to begin with.

Aquila strings are great strings, still have them on my Lanikai 21, Flea and sometimes put them on my Kamaka pineapple. Best of luck with whatever you choose...play the heck out of it and have fun!

For what it's worth, i picked up a rogue as my first uke at a flea market, and even after restringing it, it was almost enough to put me off ever playing a uke again. Intonation was terrible, and no matter what I did to the tuners, it wouldn't stay in tune for more than a few minutes. With what I know now, I've gone back and worked on it to try to make it play better, but it still seems awful to me.

Last edited:
I've not played the other two, but the Kala KA-S is a nice little ukulele for the price. I like mine. They also ship with Aquila strings installed.

Welcome to the board and good shopping.

I have experiences with all three ukes. I personally own a Lanikai LU-21. I have given away two Rogues, and a friend of mine has the Kala. The Lanikai and Kala are pretty much the same uke, though the finish on the Kala is more of a semi-gloss where the Lanikai has a rough matte finish. Both ukes sound the basically the same (though my Lanikai sounds just a hair better), feel the same, and are both just a blast, so if you narrow it down to those two, go for the less expensive one. My Lanikai and my friend's Kala both came with Aquila strings. The Rogue... pass on it. I have had two. Both needed a really, really good setup just to sound OK. I have since given both away to two teens I am currently teaching. Besides, if you are a beginner, you might be better off having geared tuners anyhow, which you will get with the Lanikai and Kala.

Dan

I would agree to pass on the Rogue. You might get an OK one but odds are either the Lanikai or the Kala will be more enjoyable to play.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy from someone who knows ukes and will look them over before selling them. Getting them from someone who doesn't open the box may save you some money but there may be issues with it that won't be caught

Have fun and enjoy

Hey....I love my Rogue....and it's my favorite go to fun uke....:) I do agree if you cannot set it up and tune by ear...it's no good to you...

As a fairly recent beginner, I can't recommend strongly enough that you purchase your first uke from a dealer who will do a great setup. There is SO much variability in ukes at the price point you are discussing that the difference between loving and continuing to play the uke and abandoning the idea can literally be made by the setup of the instrument. My first instrument was a Kala KA-TEM, and I got it (after reading the boards here extensively) from Hawaii Music Supply (HMS to the board members). I could not have been happier with my choice of dealer. There are SO many things that are checked and adjusted during a good setup....it really is mind boggling.

Here's a video of what HMS does during setup:

I love my Kala; it's got Aquila strings and it sounds awesome. I also love my Pono...she's a beaut, and I got her from HMS as well. Several other dealers provide quality setups: Uke Republic, Mimm's to name two. Since mine came from HMS I can relay the experience I've had with them only, but the others are HIGHLY reputable as well.

Please, whatever you do, have your uke set up. You won't regret it.

Any of the ukes in that price range will be hit or miss and I can't emphasize too strongly the necessity to buy from someone whos sets them up (unless you have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself). My first uke was an LU-21C and I've purchased many of the Lanikai LU-21 and LU-11 series (basically the same uke with a little extra plastic binding on the 21) for grandkids. All needed some adjustments at the nut but once that was done they were good little ukes.

John

I would agree to pass on the Rogue. You might get an OK one but odds are either the Lanikai or the Kala will be more enjoyable to play.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy from someone who knows ukes and will look them over before selling them. Getting them from someone who doesn't open the box may save you some money but there may be issues with it that won't be caught

Have fun and enjoy

So you don't recommend buying them offline?
I don't have many music stores around me that sell ukes.

There are some music stores that will look over an instrument and some that won't. Costco won't. Guitar Center, maybe or maybe not. Some privately, depends on the owner. It is always nice to try out before playing and if you have a friend that knows guitars, bring them along.

Where are you living? Maybe someone on the forum can recommend a shop.

Try before you buy any uke...unless you buy from reputable dealer....we have a few member/dealers/ builders here.... online that do setups...depends on your budget
HMS, Mainland, MIM, Uke Republic are just a few who do set ups and are the best..

Seems like MIM got some fairly affordable Ohana sopranos, set up and ready (around 65USD). As for Rogue, I have only played the baritone, never the soprano. I have two of those baritones, and they are kinda cool funky - but not an instrument for people who have never played before. More of an acquired taste...
By the way, there is also another ultra-cheapo soprano on the market, named TNA, which looks like a blueprint copy of the Rogue soprano. I had one of those, and it was difficult, to say the least.

There are some music stores that will look over an instrument and some that won't. Costco won't. Guitar Center, maybe or maybe not. Some privately, depends on the owner. It is always nice to try out before playing and if you have a friend that knows guitars, bring them along.

Where are you living? Maybe someone on the forum can recommend a shop.

I do have a Guitar Center about thirty minutes away from me.
I also have an Absolute Music shop that's about twenty minutes away, it's a mom and pop type of music store. I'm thinking about calling there and asking.

thank you for the advice!

Set up is everything. I just bought a Lanikai LU-11 on craigslist and it is unplayable because of the non set up. It is in tune until any of the strings are fretted. It was the sellers first uke and she just thought it was her fault that she couldn't play it.

Top Bottom