just wondering...seasonal anticipation syndrone

i quite often don't take a proper look at the thread and other people's vids, when i have a vid of my own on the go, i like to get mine done and posted and then relax and watch other people's stuff at my leisure, when i can really focus and not be thinking "oh gosh i can't get that third verse right on my song blah whatevs", so i probably didn't realise anything was busily going on in my absence!

it's the tourist season here...for me and my little cafe...i love the seasons..
but...i never seem to have enough time to view and comment on all the videos!
when we used to be 20...then 40 ...then 50 of us..i still was able to get both done in a week...
last week there were 165 entries!! wow!! we have grown!!
anyhow...i apologize and will try to do better in the future....
thanks for any views and comments my way...
but don't think, that because i'm not commenting means that i don't think that this & y'all aren't great..'cause i do!
i just am bad at time management!!
and, since being here from day one, i have watched so many of y'all grow and get so wonderful at this little instrument
and how you continue to amaze me at your creativity on songs and playing!
anyway...kudos to all of you!
rave on seasonistas!
ps. comments on youtube to follow!

when we used to be 20...then 40 ...then 50 of us..i still was able to get both done in a week...
but don't think, that because i'm not commenting means that i don't think that this & y'all aren't great..'cause i do!
and, since being here from day one, i have watched so many of y'all grow and get so wonderful at this little instrument
rave on seasonistas!
Aye Dave. Love ya brother.
:cheers:

I am echoing two sub themes here.

ONE: I actually thought it was Saturday when I posted my comment :eek:

TWO: Wholeheartedly second Dave's comments. I do try to watch as many videos as I can, but some weeks I have too many translation projects on to do anything but dip a toe in here. While in quieter weeks the sheer volume of entries means there is still a bit of cherry picking involved. If I haven't commented on your video, it is not because I don't like your stuff. I often choose to listen, or not, simply on what song has been chosen. It is absolutely true that time management is the key reason why it has now become almost impossible to find the time to listen to every entry every week. :( But like Dave says, I still love y'all.

The discussion regarding comments on the Seasons struck a chord with me. When I first discovered the Seasons last November, I was enchanted by the notion of a online folk club. I've been interested in such things since I was 16. The lovely age of Independence in America at least;where almost everyone undergoes a Rite of Passage known as getting your driver's licence. Long before I was a performer I always enjoyed joining in and singing along. Still do. I quickly became a volunteer. Making coffee, setting up, cleaning up organizing, and so on. I early on found myself listening to all the participants. Still do. I became involved. One saw the coming and goings of the crowd the Arcana of the Rules and sign-up song and dance. I found this utterly fascinating. Still do. It was a mantra.

I routinely comment on all the videos I can. The process tends to break down around Midnight on Saturdays. This is an aptly named thread! "Thyme brings all things to an End".

Last edited:
It just blows my mind how this thing has evolved. It started as a 6-week contest in early 2012. Once those 6 themes - and with them, the contest - was over, we were all so bereft having enjoyed it so much we just didn't want it to end. Hence, in a rudimentary way we each volunteered to host an up-coming week and just play it by ear (pardon the pun), beginning with week 7 which was a celebration and tribute to Woody Guthrie. I can't remember how many folks competed in the original format but it couldn't have been many more than 12-15...or perhaps 20 at the max. In those early days it was one song a week, which felt like a big challenge in itself at the time. As it's evolved we now have some people doing 1/2 a dozen songs (or more!) a week and it has become no longer a competition but a sharing and friendship board. It's just been wonderful to be there at the start and see this happen.

Brothers and sisters, we each owe a huge thanks and debt of gratitude to Christian ( member "chrimess") whose original idea it was. Although I haven't seen him on the forum for quite some time I sure hope he checks in occasionally and sees what an amazing thing this has become.

As we are now getting 100+ and more songs a week to watch/comment/judge it's well nigh impossible to cover everyone most weeks. As far as I can see, that is the ONLY drawback to how it has developed. With an exponential growth in participation time has become a factor to always offer the feedback and encouragement we enjoy giving and getting. But that said, the seasons has become a catalyst for many, many people to start posting their music in a non-threatening and positive environment. We're all the better for that. And still it continues to grow! It's incredible. I think that as long as we try to listen and comment on someone new and/or whom we don't often watch every now and then, it's all we can realistically hope to do. That's the place where I'm at anyway.

Just as an aside, when I was chatting with seeso ages back (around the time we gave the "seasons" it's own board) he said without reservation that it has been the best thing to ever happen on the UU. High praise and true. Thankyou Christian! Thankyou everyone! Hugs to all!

Vive Le Seasons! xo :)

Season 177. The number itself is mind-boggling. It's an amazing thing we got going here.

I started at 84, so I've now been here for more than half of it. Crazy.

And yeah, I often start out the week watching and commenting on everything ... and then I start going out every night - Wednesday, Thursday, the weekend ... and before you know it it's Sunday and there are 3000 videos and they all look amazing and I am shaking my head and trying to get 12 more great song ideas recorded and watch 3000 videos and have a life and get ready for the next theme and ......

I love you all, and it is a rare week I can manage most of that any more. We all do what we can. Let's keep the space fun, happy, loving, and, as much as we're able ... guilt-free.

Good grief, y'all! Berni broke the seal on this one ree-a-a-l early. OK, here's your first clue!

Have at it, friends --

songs about bendy plastic kids' toys (we'll have to write our own once we run out of existing ones)

songs about childhood

i too pick out vids to watch, it might be the song title, it might be a hat someone is wearing, it might be a pet in the background, the bottom line being that unless you are hosting, it's just so hard to find the time to watch every vid and, as jon pointed out, also find time to post a hundred or so vids of one's own! (i always say i'm just gonna do two a week! i never manage it!)

which takes me to how great hosting is, you DO watch every video and it's amazing. it makes you realise what you're missing on the weeks you don't manage to catch everything.

mmmmmmmmmmm. maybe i WILL do just a couple of vids a week in future and try and watch everything every week...........

we'll see, i just get so inspired by the theme and the stuff i do see other people doing that it spurs me on to do a gazillion vids of my own!

rave on seasonistas!

I used to be an Admin on a photoshopping site called Worth1000. There were some similarities to the Seasons in that we posted a theme like "Photoshop a Frog" or "Make a Celebrity Fat" and then the entrants would enter their works. There were some amazing submissions.

When the site was young, a contest drew 20 or 30 entries, and everyone commented on everyone's submission. Later, the site grew, and it was not unusual to have 150 or 200 submissions per contest. It was, of course, almost impossible to comment on every entry. But those were Worth1000's best days, with hundreds upon hundreds of cool images being created each week. Over 150,000 people belonged to Worth1000 at one time.

In time, the site changed hands, became older, and lost many members. Today, they run weekly contests instead of daily contests, and there are often only 5-10 entries per contest. Everyone comments on everything, pretty much. But it's not as much fun.

Getting 100 or more entries per contest is a wonderful thing, even if you cannot comment on all entries. The joy is in the community, the creative process, and the celebration of music. I don't think that anyone feels slighted if we don't have many comments, we all know that we're participating if a wonderful community. It's better to have a lot!

This website, the Seasons of the Ukulele, is a special, precious, and unique thing. The bigger the better! Imagine a Season that brings 200 or more entries. It would be impossible for most people to comment on them all, but what a high-class problem!

Bottom line: Enjoy this wonderful "online open mic" that is the Seasons! The more the merrier!

PS - If you're interested, here are some random Worth1000 contest for you to enjoy, Here Here Here Here Here Here

Season 177. The number itself is mind-boggling. It's an amazing thing we got going here.

I started at 84

Well looking good for 84 then........................................:biglaugh::smileybounce::biglaugh::stop:eek:oops.......................................................

Passing out clues is consistent with the theme ... when I reveal it!

I'm a relative newbie -- Season 151 -- but I've had such a great time meeting other ukers, trying to improve my limited singing and playing skills, and discovering new music (and what goes well with four strings!).

I hope to get to one of the big uke events one of these days and, perhaps, meet some you wonderful people face-to-face.

Clue No. 3a: Doc, one year earlier. (The theme is NOT Doc Watson music, however!)

Cover a Song listed on the Dr.Uke site ?

Or......... something to do with 'Age' or 'Time' ?
Or.......a word that could preceed the two words could be 'Guess' ,I.e guess someones age, guess the time which could tie in with the connection of the word 'clue' =Guess ?
Hmmmmm........I wonder if I've over thought this thing?? Lol

Last edited:
I used to be an Admin on a photoshopping site called Worth1000. There were some similarities to the Seasons in that we posted a theme like "Photoshop a Frog" or "Make a Celebrity Fat" and then the entrants would enter their works. There were some amazing submissions.

When the site was young, a contest drew 20 or 30 entries, and everyone commented on everyone's submission. Later, the site grew, and it was not unusual to have 150 or 200 submissions per contest. It was, of course, almost impossible to comment on every entry. But those were Worth1000's best days, with hundreds upon hundreds of cool images being created each week. Over 150,000 people belonged to Worth1000 at one time.

Interesting to know. I've never been a chopper or a member, but my daughter and I have looked at the Worth 1000 contests for many years.

Top Bottom