Ukulele slipping

ArtfulDodger

Reaction score
I've noticed a few posts on the uke forums asking for help with belly slip (that moment midway through a song when you feel the uke begin sliding away down your chest). Here's a video I just made to show my simple yet effective solution which involves no straps, no damage to the instrument and no firm gripping (as I like to keep loose while strumming). Hope its helpful...

Great tip! I've been doing that for a long time but I use 3M trim spray to stick the stuff semi-permanently to the back of the uke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O4oqvI6Cfo

I'm also a lot more long-winded than you are! :biglaugh:

John

YEE...HAA! Watched both vids, went to the hardware store this morning, and now have a non-slip uke.
Thanks.
R
But wait...there's more... Sure am getting some twangy pull-offs...

Last edited:
I starting using a rubber patch designed to keep your cell phone on the dash of the car. It's terrific.
It doesn't need any adhesive to stick, it's so tacky. But doesn't leave any marks and peels right off.
No need for tape/glue etc.

Well, you guys are all thin. I use my protruding stomach to perch my uke on top of.

Good quick and dirty, cheap fix. Magic Fluke has a plastic, super slick back, and they sell a product called Grip Strips for their ukuleles. Not sure that they would be okay for wood ukuleles, (possible damage) but this is a good thread to include it for informal purposes.
IMG_4169.jpg
https://www.magicfluke.com/product-p/gripstrips.htm

I use something similar, only mine is rug underlay from the Dollar Tree.

I didn't know this was a prevalent issue. Interesting. I usually just hold my soprano in a way against my chest and I can play even standing up or walking about without readjusting or needing a strap. Maybe I can show you if it may help?

I've been thinking about the non-slip idea for a while, just have been lazy! Not sure if I want to tape it to the back on my good ones, will try the laminates first. Is this something that will go away in time, or will i always need to use this?

For me, I can hold my soprano easily. But concert and tenor slip when I am standing. when i play I sit and have the body rest on my leg. have to find a good seat height for this. I do find that I tip the neck up slightly when doing this.

Thanks for the thread, it will remind me the next time at grocery store to get some of this and try it out!

I think ukes should come with a rubbery patch on the back!

I've discovered a solution that works for me: Play Naked. But you need to avoid using sunscreen, and choose your venue carefully.

Professionals in my league (LOL), like Jake Shimabukuro, use a strap most of the time when on stage.

Top Bottom