What was the last uke you bought? And what uke are you planning to buy next?

Last one I bought was a Luna concert banjolele. The person selling on eBay advertised it as a tenor, which is hard to find in any make, so I bought it. It's a concert. I should have done my research, I don't even think Luna makes a tenor. I believe this one is headed for craigslist.

Last uke I bought that I'm planning to keep is a Risa Les Paul model.
I had been searching every website I could find for the Cherry Sunburst for quite awhile when I wrote to Mim's Ukes directly. She had them backordered from Risa but took the time to contact them, and was able to get them to send one out for me. And then coordinated shipping with me to make sure it would arrive on a day that I was home.
Am I writing this mostly as a testimonial to MIM's Ukes? (Maybe)
And BTW, this thing is amazing! One of the best instrument purchases I've ever made.

The next one, I'm hoping, will be a Kala all solid acacia baritone. Ordered it a month or so ago from a friend, but he hasn't heard when or if it's due.
Of course, I keep one eye on Craigslist all the time so.... (I don't have a problem)

Mya Moe Tenor - quilted maple back and sides, port orford cedar top, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, peghead tuners -#2004

I don't plan on buying another ukulele - ever.

Kamaka HF-3 D2I Slothead Centennial, built by Casey Kamaka. Can't image owning a better built, more beautiful or perfect sounding instrument. By "perfect sounding" what I mean is that it rings like a bell, but with a smooth resolution and clarity that for me is all I could ask for. Don't think I'll need to ever buy another one.

Last edited:
Last ukulele I purchased was a Pono MTSH circa 2010. I took a hiatus from playing and sold that MTSH a couple years back. I just started playing again, which also trigger my UAS.

Next Uke:I want another slot head but with a cedartop. Currently looking at Pono RTSH-C or KALA KA-ZTP-CTG.

Trying to resist UAS. I was single that last time I was bit by that bug and my partner has never seen that side of me;)

My affair with the Ohana SK35GS was a brief fling. I'm am shipping it back and have a Pono Solid Mahogany Deluxe Soprano replacing it.

My first Pono despite being keen on the brand when I started years ago.

Edit, crippling with UAS. Koaloha Opio Sapele concert on the way too. Martin S1 going.

Last edited:
My latest and greatest was a Kamaka HF-3LDS. What I have my eyes set upon is...well, I don't have a specific ukulele in mind; what I want is something with a redwood soundboard and a body made of something special like milo. Perhaps Koolau has something like that. Anyway, that is more my high-end desire. On the more attainable front, I have eyed with longing one of those RISA solid body baby Les Pauls with two humbuckers.

Lately I've been thinking soprano, since my friend bought her William King here, and I'm trying to learn the basics of Campanella style.....maybe I'll win one at TBUG this year....

Last ukulele I purchased was a Pono MTSH circa 2010. I took a hiatus from playing and sold that MTSH a couple years back. I just started playing again, which also trigger my UAS.

Next Uke:I want another slot head but with a cedartop. Currently looking at Pono RTSH-C or KALA KA-ZTP-CTG.

Trying to resist UAS. I was single that last time I was bit by that bug and my partner has never seen that side of me;)

Oh yes, the Pono RTSH-C, that is driving me crazy just now, itchy fingers......

Most recents in my uke journey have been a well played used Fluke concert 2 weeka ago, with rosewood board and metal frets, really like that one. It came wth linear Worth Browns, which sound great, but 8 want to try a high G string too. Then, I traded a Bruko #6 for a Pono AT tenor, which is arriving soon.

Next week, a used, supposedly mint, thin Kiwaya KS-0 that I snagged for $125.00 will be coming in. That will be my 1st mahogany soprano (although laminate). One day, I hope to own a nice, vintage Martin mahogany soprano.

Last edited:
Last one for me was my Kala Solid Mahogany Concert purchased from HMS. I LOVE IT.

Next one, I have been looking but I haven't heard the sound I want yet.

Last edited:
Don't forget that changing to different strings can change the sound of a uke, so I would try some strings to see the difference they make to one of your ukes to get an idea of how you could change the sound of a uke you are looking for. :)

What was the last uke you bought? And what uke are you planning to buy next?

For me...

Last: Kamaka Concert- HF-2+ (factory upgraded with Gotoh tuners)

Next: Still deciding, but a soprano of some kind

To Emma, the starter of all this, thank you for a great thread!

As I look back to my previous posts in 2013 and 2014 I see that I had no clue as to what my uke journey would be like. In 2013 I wanted a KPK soprano and in 2014 I was hoping Martin would offer a spruce top HPL uke. Neither happened as my current 2017 signature attests.

And so today my last uke is a totally unplanned late model Martin S1 whose previous owner made me an offer I couldn't refuse and my next uke might be a vintage Martin tenor.

That's the plan today, who knows what will really happen.

Don't forget that changing to different strings can change the sound of a uke, so I would try some strings to see the difference they make to one of your ukes to get an idea of how you could change the sound of a uke you are looking for. :)

My Kala SMC was love at first sound, its brightness is more sunset than sunny, it has a very warm full sound. Sadly I made a poor string choice, and I have to wait for payday to fix it.

Last purchase: Pono Soprano Mango

Next purchase: prob nothing. I am trying to simplify and minimalize my life and I also want to pay down debt.

If I were going to buy another, I'd like to try a sopranino. I really wanted one of those cheap Caramel butterfly ones, but they are no longer making them. Probably a good thing for me . . .

I'm sure I posted here a good while ago, but here is the last one I bought, a custom with sound holes only around the sides, spalted and flame mango from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, and the next one is also a custom from Bruce, a brown burst with Hawaiian Island sound holes and bird fret markers.

Spalted done binding.jpg

Brown burst islands.jpg

My last use was a Pono PC Bari, cutaway MiSi, cedar top/acacia body. Got it locally from a nice old lady who bought this as her first uke from HMS. She played for about a month and quit. Got it 1/2 price. Lot it and haven't felt the need for nothing else. It's comfortable, love the tone, nice clean build. I won't sound any better on anything else, so why keep looking. If I were to get something next. It would be a Pono tenor guitar (steel string).

Not yet a collector of Ukuleles however, there's always time!!!!

Today, I picked up a Tiny Tenor that I just fell in love with. Solid Mahogany, ebony tuners, gloss finish, fits so nice, sounds so beautiful. 20170726_154811.jpg

Today, I picked up a Tiny Tenor that I just fell in love with. Solid Mahogany, ebony tuners, gloss finish, fits so nice, sounds so beautiful. View attachment 101807

Excellent move. I love my TT. I have the Koa version, and it is the one I take with me when I go to meetups, etc. It always get a lot of comments... Best wishes and congrats on a great Uke purchase.

My last uke purchase was a used mango tenor Fluke with the rosewood fretboard and factory K&K pickup, which I have tuned in fifths CGDA...

My next hopeful uke purchase(s) (after I downsize and re-home a few) will be either a Martin C1K, or a vintage Martin Soprano, or the newer "budget" version of the Romero Tiny Tenor...but these are not pressing matters since my UAS fund is dry and I have debts to pay off first...

Top Bottom