Strings - What to try next?

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
Trying to find a comfortable set of strings for my Pono Tenor. Replaced the stock strings (Mahana, I think) with Fremont Blackline. Liked the sound, bright and balanced, but the tension is too high for my liking. I use high G re-entrant tuning.

What is a good string to try next?

Last edited:
I like Ken's "Living Waters" too.
Another suggestion is Jason's "PHD's" similar sound to LW's, but just a slightly smaller guage.

I've settled on Worth Medium Browns for most of my ukes.

Try D'Addario T2s. I had been using them on my ukulele for over 2 years. I wasn't necessarily a fan. My last string change was back to Worth clears. I loved them on my KoAloha. Not so much on my Moore Bettah. I put new T2s on 2 days ago. I love them! And they settled pretty quickly.

Thanks all. I have D'Addario T2s on my Lanikai pineapple. I mostly like them, but they have a twang to them that just is a little off to my ear. That could be the pineapple, too. Prefer the T2 strings to Aquila Nylgut. Those just sound heavy to me. They never could ring on the Pineapple.

I generally stick with Worth Browns
but make exceptions occasionally for
Ken Middleton's excellent 'Living Water'
strings*.And Aquilas once in a blue moon
to 'restore' a friends cheapie that needs
a bit of extra volume!

*And I am in no way associated with
Ken Middleton or his strings,just a
satisfied customer!

I had a Pono AT set up with koaloha Golds. They were available and sounded fine. The guy I sold it to is still using that type on it.

The T2's are a wound string 3&4. If that's what you like in a tenor string; I do. The Southcoast ML-RW is the best balance and sound I've found so far.

Living Water strings are wonderful, if you haven't tried them, you really should give them a go.

+1 for Living Water

I changed from aquila to living water strings on both my ukes.
really like them, sound lovely, very clear, and feel good on your fingers, no rough sounds etc (unlike the scratchy sounding D'Addario J65).

I was generally surprised just how much different strings can make a ukulele sound.

I like Fremont blacklines and Martin fluorocarbons. Worth strings are very good, too. On a high-end uke, I think fluorocarbon is the way to go (at least it is for me).

Top Bottom