What strings do you like for bending notes

kim009

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I posted this a couple of days ago in buying tips and perhaps that wasn't the right forum group. Title says it all. Working on some Robert Johnson pieces, which require bending notes. I currently use Worth strings, either clear or brown, but not happy with their tone when bending nor how easily they bend. Any recommendations for the best sounding strings for when you bend? I am that twangy, bluesy, heartfelt kind of sound. Are nylon strings better than flurocarbons for this kind of thing? i have tried Aquilas, but overall, not a fan of them. Thanks! P.S. am using a Mya Moe Beansprout banjo ukulele strung currently with clear Worths for this particular piece.

Personally, I really like Southcoast mediums or heavies tuned down a tone or more. They've got lots of tone and the lower tuning (for which they were designed) gives the strings much less tension making bending much easier and better sounding.

I use Worth clears (CH-LGHD) and actually think they are cherry for bending. Youʻve got to work them a little bit, but I think the tone is superior to just about any other string.

I use Worth clears (CH-LGHD) and actually think they are cherry for bending. Youʻve got to work them a little bit, but I think the tone is superior to just about any other string.

Worths are my usual string of choice, love them, but I'm having real problems bending the first string at the 7th fret a half step and the sound is not very pronounced.

Personally, I really like Southcoast mediums or heavies tuned down a tone or more. They've got lots of tone and the lower tuning (for which they were designed) gives the strings much less tension making bending much easier and better sounding.

I don't know anything about tuning down a tone, not sure I understand. Right now plaing standard tuning gcea, in key of D from sheet music. Could you explain a little bit more? Thanks.

Last edited:
The most-easily-bent strings I've used are Ko'olau Gold strings. Sweet sound, too. They are a little temperature sensitive, so you often need to retune after playing (warming up the strings) for five or so minutes.

My two bobs worth. If the sound you want is an authentic blues sound then Aquila Nylgut strings ARE the ones you want. They are replicating gut strings and anything Robert Johnson is from the age of gut strings. Try detuning your instrument 2 semitones. As much as I'm a fan of Nylgut strings I have to declare that 95% of the time I am playing them detuned 2 or 3 semitones.

EDIT: just this evening I was reading another thread here that suggested that tenor ukulele's used to be all tuned F, A#, D, G and this is the tuning in which most classical blues and jazz songs were written. Give it a go.

Anthony

Last edited:
Worths are my usual string of choice, love them, but I'm having real problems bending the first string at the 7th fret a half step and the sound is not very pronounced.

The first string is harder to bend than say the E string, but a half step at the 7th fret still should be pretty easy. Make sure you are using other fingers behind your fretting one to assist with the bend. Bending with one finger is unnecessarily hard. http://liveukulele.com/lessons/techniques/bending/ Make sure you are twisting your wrist to get the bend instead of pushing straight up with you finger muscles.

I have found that string are a player, but how you restring the uke can make a difference.
I have been doing the MArtin Method (Yes they have a specific way)
http://www.martinguitar.com/images/downloads/careandfeeding.pdf
Page 15 shows how they pull the string through then wrap it a half turn. You use less string so you have less stretching and I think bending is better too.

I'd always thought that RJ played steel strings and not gut. Whatcha know?

I remember reading and article a while back that interviewed a contemporary of RJ and he said (this had to be an old article) that back in the day the blues guys were playing Stella guitars with gut strings. I can't get any good information now on exactly what RJ was using. Anyway, in regards to ukulele's gut strings or synthetic nylgut strings would be the closest.

Anthony

I remember reading and article a while back that interviewed a contemporary of RJ and he said (this had to be an old article) that back in the day the blues guys were playing Stella guitars with gut strings. I can't get any good information now on exactly what RJ was using.
Anthony

Very interesting!

Top Bottom