Anyone else have Blue Binding coming loose on Kala Pearl Strings?

SpaasStrummer

Reaction score
I purchased some Kala Pearl strings to try and when I was checking out the first string I opened (string1 - A) a portion of the blue binding string approximately 1/4" long started to unravel. I emailed Kala and retailer I purchased from and received no reply from either of them.
I am leery of installing them on my uke for fear the unraveling will continue and cause the microwinding to also come free. I was wondering if anyone else has this experience and if there are any suggestions of an adhesive I can safely put on the binding to insure it will not unravel anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
When I install a wound string I always use a bit of hot melt glue on each end to prevent windings coming loose. It works perfectly and (after a couple of tries) doesn't look at all unsightly. That's a little different, but you could probably adapt this idea to work.

My examples:
IMG_1815.jpgIMG_1813.jpgIMG_1817.jpg

Last edited:
Why would you want the ends bound?
Can't you just cut-off the ends?

That's not what Kala advises on these strings, they advise not cutting them because it will allow the micro-winding to come loose - purpose of the blue binding string is to keep the micro winding in place. Think I will give the hot glue trick a try, not so much to lose at this point anyway.

Top Bottom