How do I determine the value of a guitar?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I have a Fender acoustic guitar that is gathering dust so I'd like to sell it but I have no idea what it might be worth. How do I determine what it's worth and how much less than the value price might I typically expect to get when selling it to a music store?

I would just google the model number which should be on the label in the sound hole. You should get some hits that way. As far as selling it to a music store, expect a very unpleasant haircut...

Most music stores will take between 20%-33% of the selling price for consigning a guitar (meaning they sell it for you and pay you only when it sells). In terms of an outright sale, you might expect 50% or so of selling value from a store, unless the guitar is particularly desirable. For less desirable instruments, they may not be interested at all. Frankly, you would probably do better on ebay or craigslist.

I would look at the completed auctions on e-bay, that should give you the current market price.
A dealer is likely to pay you half of what they believe they can sell it for, after all they are in business to make a profit.
Depending on the model you may also be better off donating it to a kids music program and taking a tax deduction for the fair market value.
You will get a tax savings and possible make some child very happy.

here i did some research for you this might help
www . wikihow.com/Find-Out-the-Age-and-Value-of-a-Guitar
lauren

Just what I've been thinking too. I have gorgeous Fylde Alchemist I think I want to sell. It doesn't seem right to keep such a wonderful instrument languishing in it's case.

Top Bottom