Kala or Mainland fun uke?

Mabel Green

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been tossing up two funky looking Uke's, about the same price. One is a Kala Red Paisley Ukadelic and the other is the Mainland Reggae Gecko. I really like the looks of both, but obviously can't get them both!

Can anyone help me decide? I would like to play fun stuff, beatles and some classical / folk tunes - finger picking style sounds most appealing to me.. but can either of these ukes help me make the sounds I'm looking for? (I'm a beginner Uke player, with a tiny amount of guitar experience and I use to be an ok clarinet player back in the day.)

Thanks for any help! I'm driving my poor husband and brother crazy talking about this. ;)

My advice would be either one as long as it has been properly setup. I see Uke Republic carries both so that's where I'd go.

I agree, I've got one at Mim's and the Uke Republic that I have my eye on (and my cursor hovering over the buy button! haha!)

I'm tending towards the Gecko today.. in a more yellow mood I guess! If I think I need both. ;) lol

I would probably try the Gecko as well. If I remember correctly it is all plastic, and can always serve the roll of Beach Uke, or bathtub uke. I don't see them on the Mainland Ukes website anymore, so they may be out of production. I would grab one now while they are still around.

–Lori

I would rather support Mike of Mainland 'ukuleles since he's a UU member and a heck of a nice guy, and personally I like the Gecko looks better.

But the Mainland Chili Pepper looks awesome to this chili-head!

CHILI1.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen the pictures of the chilli one. Very striking they are! I've always thought the gecko was more "me" though. The colours are so happy!!

Actually, I admit, I don't think "reggae" when I look at it though.. since I've not grown up with that connection. They're just 3 colours I happen to really like. ;)

Well.. I think I've made up my mind. It seems as though no matter what, if I want a Ukulele that's set-up brought over to Australia, I'm going to have to pay $100 at minimum. May as well get the one I enjoy looking at the most. :drool:

I'm so nervous and excited!!

Top Bottom