Strings popping out of bridge on Kamaka HF-2+

-Emma-

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a Kamaka HF-2+ and because I didn't like the stock Kamaka strings I changed them to Aquila strings. About a week or two after restringing the uke, I found that the A string had popped when I opened the case.

I had some Worth Fluorocarbon Clear strings on the way for my banjo uke, so I decided to use the Worth strings on my Kamaka. I was trying to restring it and I couldn't get the G string on without it popping out of the bridge when I was close to getting the string in tune. I tried tying a larger knot but it still popped out :( . Am I having this problem because the Worth strings are finer than the stock Kamaka strings?

I don't want to damage the bridge from the strings popping out.

Is it possible to use the Worth strings on a Kamaka or do I need strings that are the same thickness as the stock Kamaka strings?

Thanks

I just restrung my Kelii for the first time--different uke, but also a slot bridge. I put Ko'olau Mahanas on it, and I used a figure eight knot for all the strings. How to tie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnYmY_B938 Nothing's popped out yet. When I pulled the original strings out, I noticed that a double pretzel knot was tied on the end. Or it may have been a stopper knot: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/restringing.html (scroll all the way to the bottom). But the figure eight seems to be fine. I did some searches here for a good knot to use and several mentioned the figure eight.

On all my ukes with a slotted bridge , I use a small bead on the "a" string to keep it from popping out and damaging the bridge. The "a " string is so thin that most knots can be pulled through the slot. Works fine for me , no problem , you cant see it .

On all my ukes with a slotted bridge , I use a small bead on the "a" string to keep it from popping out and damaging the bridge. The "a " string is so thin that most knots can be pulled through the slot. Works fine for me , no problem , you cant see it .

The beads that fly-tiers use are perfect for this - most people who fly fish will have an assortment of different small size brass beads, and the hole on one side is drilled smaller than the other side.
Face the small size of the hole towards the saddle. This helps the knot nestle into the bead so as to not leave a jagged edge of string sticking out from the bridge.
If you don't know any fly fishers, try a fly fishing shop, and if you can't find any, send me a PM.

-Vinnie in Juneau

The beads that fly-tiers use are perfect for this - most people who fly fish will have an assortment of different small size brass beads, and the hole on one side is drilled smaller than the other side.
Face the small size of the hole towards the saddle. This helps the knot nestle into the bead so as to not leave a jagged edge of string sticking out from the bridge.
If you don't know any fly fishers, try a fly fishing shop, and if you can't find any, send me a PM.

-Vinnie in Juneau

Thanks everyone :) , only got around to restringing it this morning and the stopper knot on the Mya-Moe page seems to have worked. The C string only needed a smaller knot though :) . My dad likes fishing, so I got him to tie the knots :) .

I'm so slow at restringing, the C string was a particularly annoying.

Aloha Emma,
Glad you got your strings resolved...yes the a string is the thinnest and therefore usually slip the bridge slots...double knots or a bead will resolve the issue.
As for the C string...it is the thickest therefore maybe the hardest and many times you cannot go through the post hole twice unless you cut the tip of string at a diagonal....happy strummings :)

Aloha Emma,
Glad you got your strings resolved...yes the a string is the thinnest and therefore usually slip the bridge slots...double knots or a bead will resolve the issue.
As for the C string...it is the thickest therefore maybe the hardest and many times you cannot go through the post hole twice unless you cut the tip of string at a diagonal....happy strummings :)
Cut the C string at a diagonal ,.........great tip I'll try that next time .

I've used needle nose pliers but never thought to cut the string on an angle.Great idea . I like to put the string through twice , but that C string , geez. Thanks, woo hoo

Some fluorocarbons can be thin and a regular overhand or figure 8 knot is still too small. Try the knot at the bottom of the Mya-Moe restring page

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/restringing.html

Good luck

Holy cow; I've been doing it wrong for years. This link is AWESOME. No joke. I'll definitely use this knot and the method they describe for threading the posts next time I restring. I had always just left slack in the string to get extra loops around the tuning post.

Top Bottom