Martin 3M (1920s) x Martin 3M (1950s) x Kiwaya KTS-7 (new)

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this terrible doubt about the Martin 3M and its Kiwaya copy. I'd certainly prefer a 1920s Martin, but it is crazy expensive. I have a Kiwaya KTS-4 that I really like, but I want the darker sound and the ornate looks of the style 3. Anyone ever compared the KTS-7 to vintage Martin ukes? Should I get the Kiwaya or save for a Martin?

As a collector myself, I struggle with these issues all the time. The bottom line is how important vintage is to you. Simply being vintage does not make an instrument better, but it often makes an instrument more valuable.

Kiwaya ukes in general are good quality instruments, and the one KTS-7 I played was very nice. For those who are unable to make an investment in a vintage instrument, they are a good alternative.

Vintage instruments are sometimes good investments, but they can also be very risky. You need to know what you are buying, and buy from a reputable dealer. If you buy smart, you will usually get an instrument that will hold its value, and sometimes will increase. So you may be able to think of your money as "parked" rather than "spent."

First question might be: Are you a collector or a player?

I've played all three. The only one of them I own is the vintage 3M. I do like vintage instruments, but the sound is most important to me. I haven't found anything new that can compare to the sound of a vintage Martin.

RichM and stevepetergal: I'm not a collector, although I prefer vintage instruments, but sound and playability are the most important factors for me (along with price, obviously). If I can get the sound of a vintage Martin on the KTS-7 for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, I will prefer the Kiwaya.

hmgberg: Do you think it is worth saving money to get a 3M?

RichM and stevepetergal: I'm not a collector, although I prefer vintage instruments, but sound and playability are the most important factors for me (along with price, obviously). If I can get the sound of a vintage Martin on the KTS-7 for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, I will prefer the Kiwaya.

hmgberg: Do you think it is worth saving money to get a 3M?

Yes, I think it is worth saving the money and buying a vintage 3. I have quite a few vintage Martins, including a 3m and a 3k. The Style 3s are my favorites. If I were to recommend a replica, it would probably be a Tim Laughlin. But, I don't have one of his. I don't think you would regret having any of the ukes on your list. However, if you get something other than the vintage 3, I think you will always wonder, "what if?"

I have played a lot of Martin sopranos ('20's and '30s) and they all have a very characteristic sound. There is clearly a big difference between the koa and the mahogany. However, people should not think of the Kiwaya all-solid sopranos as copies of the Martins. They are totally different. They feel different, the play differently and they sound very different. It is, of course, very difficult to describe this comparison using words - you have have to listen to them.

Price and age aside, I actually prefer the Kiwaya sound.

Have you tried the newer Martin 3's? They are only a couple hundred more then a Kiwaya. I purchased a new Martin style 2 and I love the sound; very vintage to my ears.

I have played a lot of Martin sopranos ('20's and '30s) and they all have a very characteristic sound. There is clearly a big difference between the koa and the mahogany. However, people should not think of the Kiwaya all-solid sopranos as copies of the Martins. They are totally different. They feel different, the play differently and they sound very different. It is, of course, very difficult to describe this comparison using words - you have have to listen to them.

Price and age aside, I actually prefer the Kiwaya sound.
I found this to be true as well. The Kiwayas I played do not sound like Martins. I prefer the Martin vintage sound, as I said before. You (op) already have a Kiwaya; were you able to compare yours to a Marti 0, for example, you could decide which sound and feel you prefer.

Yes, I think it is worth saving the money and buying a vintage 3. I have quite a few vintage Martins, including a 3m and a 3k. The Style 3s are my favorites. If I were to recommend a replica, it would probably be a Tim Laughlin. But, I don't have one of his. I don't think you would regret having any of the ukes on your list. However, if you get something other than the vintage 3, I think you will always wonder, "what if?"

The "what if" factor is very big. Reselling ukes here in Brazil is hard. Sometimes I'm able to profit, and sometimes I lose money. In this case, I think if I sell it, I will lose money. If I sell internationally, I lose a lot of money as well, because of the taxes. I need to buy THE right thing.

Mattyukaholic: Let us know!

SamUke: I didn't heard many great things about the newer Martins. I once tried a new S1 Martin, and I didn't like it AT ALL. Idk, but I'm not really considering it.

hmgberg and Ken Middleton: My life is a lie! I always thought they sounded alike :(

Well my KTS7 arrived today and I'm already in love. And that's not just me being overexcited about a new Uke. At first I was slightly disappointed by the high action (very different to my KTS4) and poor strings. But I changed to worth clears and sanded the saddle (being careful for intonation issues) and it now sounds truly wonderful. I've been playing it non stop and it sounds better and better as the strings settle.

My first impression are it is loud! Surprisingly it is even louder than the KTS4. I'm surprised because the KTS7 has a longer fretboard and more ornamentation which I thought would dampen the sound if anything. It doesn't. Maybe it's the different grade of mahogany? It is lighter Honduran mahogany. The sound is very bright - more top end than the KTS4. It really does sound great. I'm glad I have both as the sound is different on each.

It is very very light and is really comfortable to play. The neck is thin which helps. It really does look beautiful too. The wood grain shows through and is quite lovely for mahogany, with nice patterning. The purfling is done well and to me is very attractive. The attention to detail is superb. The fretwork is neat (as is everything.)

I'll post some videos comparing the models when I get a chance and the strings have settled.

I'm really happy with this Uke. I think my UAS is on hold now. I love my Kiwayas and LoPrinzi. They're the ones for me.

image.jpg

Matty,

do you think the KTS7 is a good complement to the KTS4 or it substitutes it?

Personally I would say it compliments it. I was considering selling my KTS4 if they were too similar but I like them for different reasons. The KTS7 definitely has more top end. Sadly I can't say which has the most vintage sound as I've only played a Martin once. I'd say the KTS7 has more bark when strummed hard. It also has better sustain and a nicer tone finger picked. But I really like the KTS4 for strumming old time songs - it has a mellower but woody sound.

Not sure if that helps you? I'll try and get a sound sample up before the weekend.

I have both a KTS-7 and a vintage Martin 3M from around 1930. I love them both, but agree with Ken about the sound being totally different. I don't notice all that much difference in feel though. The Kiwaya sounds great, but sounds maybe a little more "modern". The Martin sounds FABULOUS (to my ears at least). They both look great. I bought the Kiwaya before the Martin (although I already had two vintage Martins) because I wasn't sure that I'd ever find a Style 3 that I could afford, and I really like the Style 3 aesthetics. Visually, the Kiwaya is very close. Sonically, it's a very nice instrument with its own great tone.

I saw that 3M. The only thing that bothers me is that the back was replaced.

Also I need to save some money and make "traveling arragements" for the uke. I know some people going to the US this year, it's better to ask someone to bring it to me than to receive via mail and pay taxes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom