Kala Pearl Strings

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with these strings? Coming up on a string change on my tenor. These are in the rotation. I'm wondering how these will go after a set of Worth Browns.

Got tired of waiting for answers. Strung 'em up. I like them. The strings are the correct length so no trimming is required. They will take another day or two to give me their best. I like the bright, ringing tone they give my Pono tenor.

There were only a few who have used Pearls and really not much has been said about them. When they first came out, fanfare was very minimal. Question would be why Kala doesn't use them as a stock string instead of Aquila.

There were only a few who have used Pearls and really not much has been said about them. When they first came out, fanfare was very minimal. Question would be why Kala doesn't use them as a stock string instead of Aquila.

I imagine that it's because they are more expensive than a monofilament or flourocarbon string.

Will be curious to hear your comparison to the Worth Browns.

A whole different trip. The Kala strings really ring. The Worth Browns are much more mellow. I'm a strummer, not a fingerpicker. I don't have the issues with the noise of the windings on the strings.

I had High G on the Pono, then switched to Low G. Decided that Low G was too guitar like. The Kalas are High G, so I'm picking up the brightness of the High G. But overall the Kala strings are sharper, brighter. I have the impression that they will settle very quickly. The Worths took more than a week. The tension is higher than the Worths. The Kala tension is higher. I'm finding that fretting is actually easier because of the tension. Counter-intuitive, I know. I've been giving myself wrist issues by fretting too hard. I will appreciate the easier fretting. I still think that it will be at least a week before these strings are ready to give me their best.

I like these strings.

I imagine that it's because they are more expensive than a monofilament or flourocarbon string.
Not really, priced between $8-9. IMO, pretty comparable with a number of the fluoros available. Not a big deal. Hear are some other links regarding the Pearls. . .
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62373-Anyone-tried-the-new-Kala-Pearl-strings
http://ukemafia.com/kala-pearl-microwound-strings-review/
http://theukulelereview.com/2012/10/01/ukulele-strings-nutshell-and-new/

I wasn't aware that they were all wounds. I don't think I'd like that.

There were Guadalupe all wounds on a bari I bought. I liked the sound, but couldn't stand the scratchy feel under my nails, since I'm primarily a fingerpicker.

I wasn't aware that they were all wounds. I don't think I'd like that.

There were Guadalupe all wounds on a bari I bought. I liked the sound, but couldn't stand the scratchy feel under my nails, since I'm primarily a fingerpicker.

I am hearing all sorts of harmonics with these strings. As I work through a chord progression I hear some very mic overtones ringing through. It's almost like there's someone playing a lead-line over my rhythm strum.

They call it "micro wound". I like them. There seems to be a divide between strummers and fingerpickers with these strings. I must admit that I sometimes hear a zipper sound from my strum hand that's weird.

I've ordered a set from ebay. Is there a real source where these can be found?

i just put these kala pearls on my new koaloha pineapple (longneck, a dream to play.....aloha to HMS!), they have something i really like, kind of subtle felling. after this going back to the aquilas on my kanilea tenor, although there was more volume;i felt like i was like playing on iron wire!, with much more fondamental sound, but i missed some magic. I have to get pearls fr my tenor. i have expirience with worth too, they where more rafinated than the aquila... I wonder what experienced players think about that sound.

i have a set ready for ma outdoor uke!:D but maybee its a kind of strings that helps the only the higher quality ukes, where the aquilas helped so much to put life in basic models, i can see how great my gretsch plywood soprano sings with these nylgut¨!
thanks for any expert opinion

Top Bottom