Jake Shimabukuro's Gear?

Jake would be a much better musician if he used Wusthof.

Those micro tuners look pretty cool.

Not forgetting " product placement " !! Celebs get all kind of gadgets and trinkets thrown at them in an attempt to catch the eye of the beholder !!!
I read that wristwatches became popular after the watchmakers paid the famous actors of the day to wear them in movies. Before that folks used pocket watches. I guess it's pretty effective advertising.

I kind of secretly hope he starts doing full sets with gear that normal people can afford, just to prove how little the gear matters if you're a player at that level.

While I understand this point fully (and people say it about Victor Wooten as well), the fact is that when you are a professional musician (and by that, I mean someone that does it as their livelihood, pays their rent, puts food on the table, etc.. solely from music), you tend to look at instruments more as tools, and tools that HAVE to be dependable, consistent and reliable on the bandstand, night after night after night. And while there are plenty of decent instruments in all price ranges, you will see the "pros" use much more expensive (to us) gear for that reason.

As an example, if you took your car into a repair shop and the pro-mechanic was using tools they bought at Harbor Freight, would you be as confident in their abilities as you would if the guy was decked out in Snap-On or MAC?

I bet everything Jake uses really takes a beating. Even the ukes. Playing at that level of intensity is a different universe than than what I do for fun.

I read that wristwatches became popular after the watchmakers paid the famous actors of the day to wear them in movies. Before that folks used pocket watches. I guess it's pretty effective advertising.

thats prob true. I think pocket watches are cool but i have no interest in owning one i don't like heavy bulgy things in my pocket. When its on your wrist the time is just right there its very convenient . and more stylish.

I think Jake now uses Analysis Plus gold as he stated in one interview. I looked at the cost, and I think they were $6k a piece. He stated that he had to save a while to buy it.

If you use any instrument as a tool everyday, you're going to want the highest quality you can afford.

The strap he uses around his neck is a Japanese company I couldn't find any information about, but he says he sells them at his shows. I went to one and never saw any, and soon to go to another show, so I'll look for it.

Last edited:
thats prob true. I think pocket watches are cool but i have no interest in owning one i don't like heavy bulgy things in my pocket. When its on your wrist the time is just right there its very convenient . and more stylish.

That's just because you don't wear the proper vest with a pocket for it!

I kind of secretly hope he starts doing full sets with gear that normal people can afford, just to prove how little the gear matters if you're a player at that level.
well,I'll never playlike Jake,but now I can cut steak like him.

That was an interesting interview with Jake.

I saw the strap online, also. About 75 bucks US!

Makes me wonder if Jake really designed the strap; or, if someone is doing a knock-off.

Can't imagine Jake having a metal clip in touch with his soundhole on that custom Kamaka.

I glued some leather around a Levy neck strap (after straightening the hook some); not as neat and pretty as Jake's, but it works and protects the finish on my ukes that I don't have permanent straps on.

Top Bottom