Clear/white alternative strings to Aquila/Worth

JonThysell

Reaction score
I have a Melokia pineapple soprano, solid acacia, with mother-of-pearl trim and gold tuning pegs. Very pretty.

It came with Aquilas, and has some seriously sweet sustain, but it also has a distant, radio-y feel to it that I'm trying to minimize.

I put on some Fremont fluorocarbons, which sound better, but still not right.

I'm looking for other clear/white strings- I've tried holding up other strings to the uke and any other color looks awful.

I have some Worth CM's and Living Water's coming in the mail. Any other suggestions?

Try the New Oasis strings..i am pretty sure you can get them on www.stringsbymail.com

they are fluorocarbon and they feel and sound very nice..

Last edited:
Three sets to try:
Martin M600
Oasis Flourocarbon
Living Water Strings

I have a Lanikai pineapple soprano. It is not a special instrument. It really needs the added tension of flourocarbon strings to sound good. Aquilas and any nylon strings make it sound like it is strung with rubber bands.

You are going to like the Oasis..this is still new to the ukulele market..if you like them like I do pass the word..

I have a Lanikai pineapple soprano. It is not a special instrument. It really needs the added tension of flourocarbon strings to sound good. Aquilas and any nylon strings make it sound like it is strung with rubber bands.

Thanks for the lanikai pineapple suggestion. I still have the factory aquilas on it, although I consider it to be a bit "dead" with them.

Thanks for the lanikai pineapple suggestion. I still have the factory aquilas on it, although I consider it to be a bit "dead" with them.

I've done everything I can to get a decent sound out of that pineapple. Aquilas, ditched the Aquilas for D'Addario T2. Lowered the action and compensated the saddle a little bit. Aquilas again (sounded like a honking goose). GHS nylons (sounded like a honking goose with a hernia). Now the Martins; I actually want to play it. Decent tone, decent intonation. It's one happy beater.

You are going to like the Oasis..this is still new to the ukulele market..if you like them like I do pass the word..

Have Oasis strings on a Concert Luna. Nice strings. I'm not ready to give up the factory strings on my KoAlana, though. They are sweet as can be.

Have Oasis strings on a Concert Luna. Nice strings. I'm not ready to give up the factory strings on my KoAlana, though. They are sweet as can be.

If they string up the KoAlana's at the KoAloha factory..they are Worth strings..

Last edited:
Ko'olau Alohi's, Living Waters, Southcoast

If they string up the KoAlana's at the KoAloha factory..they are Worth strings..

I know the Worth packaging features KoAloha and I assume the stock strings are Worths. BUT, I think I read MGM saying they were a special set and not the off-the-shelf Worth Clears.

Whatever they are, that uke with those strings is sublime.

I know the Worth packaging features KoAloha and I assume the stock strings are Worths. BUT, I think I read MGM saying they were a special set and not the off-the-shelf Worth Clears.

Whatever they are, that uke with those strings is sublime.

MGM says they are Seaguar fishing line..these are what the Worths are made of..
so I guess you can say they are not off the self..KoAloha probably has miles and miles of the of it..

MGM says they are Seaguar fishing line..these are what the Worths are made of..
so I guess you can say they are not off the self..KoAloha probably has miles and miles of the of it..

That's the post I remember.

MGM should know. I bought this KoAlana Concert ukulele because of his demo/review for HMS. I added it to a purchase of a Pono Tenor because I was feeling flush. I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has me wanting a real-deal KoAloha.

That's the post I remember.

MGM should know. I bought this KoAlana Concert ukulele because of his demo/review for HMS. I added it to a purchase of a Pono Tenor because I was feeling flush. I absolutely love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has me wanting a real-deal KoAloha.

I go down to HMS and hang with MGM a couples times a month..he is a great guy.. and I get all kinds of good info from him ..I keep my ears open...Lol,,,,for sure you get the best deals there..last Thursday he had 3 or 4 new KoAloha's..he stops by KoAloha and Kanile'a daily to get fresh ukes..

so he not kidding when he says they just came in..you can save for the KoAloha's with the sloted headstock...haha..like Mike says its going to be a while before they come in..

most of the new Pono Pro Classic's had Ko'olau Gold's on them..

Last edited:

I was planning on waiting until the Living Water strings arrived to try them first, but my Oasis order came in way earlier than I expected.

All I can say is... wow. Just goes to show that not all fluorocarbons are made alike. The Oasis strings have gotten rid of the radioy sound.

There's still some buzz, but now I'm convinced that that's the uke. AFAIK it's never gotten any proper setup work done. I think that the radioy sound was how the previous strings resonated with the occasional buzzing. With the Oasis strings, the uke sounds beautifully clear with distinct moments of buzz.

Now I just need to find somewhere in my area where I can get the uke setup proper, then it'll be perfect!

Top Bottom