How to Read Tabs Thread

davoomac

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
** Okay I edited this post to make a more logical explanation and hopefully I also made it clearer.

I hope it helps some people who are new to tabs. If anyone can elaborate or explain more clearly please do! It will help.

So tabs are pretty straight forward. Tabs are setup just like the ukulele fretboard. Each line represents one of the ukulele strings:
the top line being the A string
2nd line being the E string
3rd line from top is the C string
bottom line is the G string

Code:
A |----------2--5-4---0--3-2--------------------2-2-2-3--------]
E |-------3-------------------3--5--3-----------2-2-2-3--------]
C |--3/4------------------------------4p2--4----2-2-2-4--------]
G |---------------------------------------------2-2-2-2--------]

Okay the numbers represent which fret you will be pressing on which string. so if you saw a A|---1---], the number 1 means you play the first fret on the A string. The numbers are of course read from left to right indicating which order to play each note. Some tabs try to space out the numbers to help give a feel for timing, but it isn't really exact.

Going on in the above tab, you see on the E string a '2' so you would press the E string on the 2nd fret (which makes an F# note) and pluck that string with your right hand.

Numbers that line up in a straight line like in the example are played at the same time. If all 4 have a number on it you will strum that line.

You will see in the above example, "3/4". This represents picking 3rd fret then sliding to 4th fret. When you perform a slide the first numbered fret is picked then the left hand keeps that fret pressed down while moving to the next numbered fret. This creates a smooth note sliding sound with out picking the string again with the right hand.

Code:
A |-------------]
E |---3h5-------]
C |-------------]
G |-------------]
In other tabs you will see an "h" this means to 'hammer on' so if you see '1h3' then you hold the first fret then tap your left hand onto the 3rd fret to make the note ring out on that next note. So basically you are producing that second tone with your fretting hand without picking the string again. You will also see hammer ons notated as an arch between the two notes on either the top or bottom. Watch some ukulele videos to figure this one out if you don't know quite how to do this.

In the first example you see a 'p' which means pull off. Pull offs are basically the opposite of hammer ons. So when you see "4p2" then it means that you hold the 4th fret and pluck the string, then pull off the 4th fret TO the 2nd fret. Again, you are producing the sound with your left or fretting hand without picking the string. This might be hard to get across just through the description here. Aldrine has some stuff online that shows how to do this.

Code:
A |--------------x---]
E |--------------x---]
C |--x--x--2-----x---]
G |--------------x---]
You will also see 'x' in tabs sometimes. this means you are muting the string. Muting can be done with either hand. You're basically just strumming or plucking the string while putting your finger or hand lightly on the string so that it won't ring out the note. This produces a dull, toneless sound effect with your strings.

Tabs are a great way to learn new music quickly, but the only drawback is that tabs cannot convey the timing of the music (unless it has actual music notation that accompanies the tab- but even then many people can't read notes). You have to listen to the music and then study the tabs to get it just right.

I hope this make sense. :D Be sure to check on the links in the other posts for a really in-depth look at tabs.

Last edited:
Thanks for calling this to everyone's attention David.

Woodshed has a complete tutorial series at Uke Hunt in I believe 4 parts that is the best I've seen yet. Most others out there are guitar based but his are all centered around the 4 string ukulele. I don't have time to search out and post the links at the moment. Maybe Woodshed will drop by and take care of it. If not, I will get to it later.

two thumbs up

Great post.. Alot of poeple dont know how to read tabs... it pretty simple once yoiu get the hang of it...

two thumbs up!!!

Howlie Boy

Well, it is now up to 6 Parts and should provide all the information needed to understand how to read and work with tablature.

Ukulele 101 - How to Read Tab

Might be a good idea to make this stick to the top of the Tabs section for any newcomers to have immediate access.

Hat off to Woodshed. BTW, Woodshed has lots of good tabs on his site also.

If you want to have a super in-depth how to read tab's our friend Woodshed has THE ultimate 5-part tutorial on his website: ukulelehunt.com

How to read tabs parts 1-5
How to read Tab part 6

ha i just posted this and I saw that Dominator, posted it right before me, be sure to check out woodshed's tutorial though!

Last edited:
good sites, they explain themselves perfectly.

I've been checking out the tabs recently and read both tutorials. The 8-part series and the one posted here, but It was never mentioned what exactly does it mean when some of the fret numbers are faded out? I'll use this picture as an example:

fadedme2.jpg

So what exactly does that mean?

I've been checking out the tabs recently and read both tutorials. The 8-part series and the one posted here, but It was never mentioned what exactly does it mean when some of the fret numbers are faded out? I'll use this picture as an example:

fadedme2.jpg

AHh I haven't seen that before, but I'm guessing it just means theres implied notes. They could be optional as well. What I have seen before is when someone enters this into the tab:

Code:
A|-3-----]
E|-3-----]
C|-(4)-----]
G|-(5)-----]

I take this as the same thing as the faded tab. I'm not 100% sure though :D

i think the faded numbers mean that those notes should still be ringing when you hammer on the other fret. could be wrong though haha

i think the faded numbers mean that those notes should still be ringing when you hammer on the other fret. could be wrong though haha

Oh yeah I think in that case what Kyle said is right. that definitely makes sense! :D

fadedme2.jpg

Yes, as has been mentioned the faded notes are "tied" notes that are still sustaining. Simple as that.

I am also new to the uke too but I had my first 'uke lesson today with my 'ukulele teacher, Herb Ohta, Jr. and he taught me how to read Ukulele Tabs for the song "Amazing Grace."

im still a little confused..
if only one string has a number then does that mean you pluck it?
for example:
A|--------
E|----3---
C|---------
G|--------

how would you indicate a strum and a pluck?

a tab like this means pick the single note:

A|--------
E|----3---
C|---------
G|--------

one like this means strum:

A|----0---
E|----3---
C|----0----
G|----0---

hope this helps to clarify it for you. cheers!

And if you look the symbols over the tas can sign direction of strum
Code:
    v
A|--3--
E|--0--
C|--0--
G|--0--

^
A|--3--
E|--0--
C|--0--
G|--0--

Hello, what means the "L" in a tab like this :
Code:
  G             C       G                   G                          
  Q    H        Q       W                   E  E   E  E  E  E  E   E   
--L-------------3----|--2----------------|--------10--9--------9--10--|
----------------0----|--3----------------|-----7----------------------|
----------------0----|--2----------------|--7---------------7---------|
----------------0----|--0----------------|---------------7------------|

thanks.

Hello, what means the "L" in a tab like this :
Code:
  G             C       G                   G                          
  Q    H        Q       W                   E  E   E  E  E  E  E   E   
--L-------------3----|--2----------------|--------10--9--------9--10--|
----------------0----|--3----------------|-----7----------------------|
----------------0----|--2----------------|--7---------------7---------|
----------------0----|--0----------------|---------------7------------|

thanks.

In the tabs from thatguy431 it means "let ring". I don't know if it can have other meanings.

It's in First love tab.
So i should let the previous note ring ?

Some things look strange to me in this tab like a whole mesure with nothing but a W above it (whole mesure silence)

Top Bottom