Mini Tiwi, tuning question

Laurpud

Reaction score
So I received my awesome little uke & got in a little practice in between a hectic work schedule (FUN!)
But now it needs to be tuned, & I don't understand what the builder said. He is on vacation in HI, so I can't get an in depth (dumbed down lol) explanation. Here is what he sent me
"the uke is tuneable to a regular gCEA but seem too flimsy unless is at a third octave C tuning. the neck is just too short to be able to handle the correct tension of normal tuning gcea. what ive been using is an A tuning. basically a 5 full step up from a regular C."
Any help would be much appreciated :)

Sound like he wants you to tune it up to cFAD

Hmmm, A tuning would be eAC#F# which is 5 diatonic steps up from C - CDEFGA - but technically 4.5 steps chromatically (9 semitones). Dang, how small is this thing?!?

Any pictures..and is the tone bright....and how bright...yes using altered tuning to find the right combo to adjust the voice and tone of your uke....
whether it raised or dropped...play with it in every half step...what is the length of the scale? anyways congrats and good luck happy strummings

So I received my awesome little uke & got in a little practice in between a hectic work schedule (FUN!)
But now it needs to be tuned, & I don't understand what the builder said. He is on vacation in HI, so I can't get an in depth (dumbed down lol) explanation. Here is what he sent me
"the uke is tuneable to a regular gCEA but seem too flimsy unless is at a third octave C tuning. the neck is just too short to be able to handle the correct tension of normal tuning gcea. what ive been using is an A tuning. basically a 5 full step up from a regular C."

My guess is that the scale is somewhere around 11"...is that about right? With these mini ukes I've heard of people using a whole bunch of different tunings. The gauge of the strings will probably be a determining factor in where you want to to tune it. Thicker strings would probably be fine in standard tuning or tuned up to D. People that use a lighter gauge strings tune up to Eb, E, or F.

Like others have said, tune it to what feels/sounds good to you and experiment with a few different tunings. Hope you love it. Those Tiwi's are really cool looking!

Aloha Lauri,
I have a uke dropped tuned because it is way too bright to....E +20/+30, A +20, C#+10, F# 0/+10 or E +20, A 0/+10, C# O, F# 0/-10
of course you could try....E,A, C#, F# +20 and E-10, A-10, C# 0/-10, F# 0/-10 let me know how it works...I have other tuning if it does not work or warm up your uke....good Luck

Top Bottom