3D Printed Ukulele

Very very cool do you have a trick for peeling the thin back off the work table? Alot of the vids Ive seen on 3d printing they seem to have a terrible time with thin/delicate bits sticking.

This is definitely cooler than the other side of the pillow!

I'd buy one just to be able to say I own one. I can't wait to here a recording.

Scooter

Fantastic

This is really great. Could you model this off an older Uke? Or maybe experiment with new sizes.

I am by no means a ukulele builder, but I am curious, in a "normal" wooden uke you see these braces inside and I remember reading somewhere that those influence not only stability but also the sound (may be mistaken, if so please correct me). Have you thought of copying bracing patterns inside the ukulele? I see you only have two horizontal ones, or at least it looks like that.

And I second the idea that you could probably sell these for a reasonable price, not really to make big money but maybe just to pay for your materials that you use for your own projects.

Let's see...$70 per uke + $35K for the machine = a lotta ukuleles to sell!

3D printers are really dropping in price. You can get some for $500-$800 USD. As they become more popular I think we'll see them drop even further in price.

I think discussing the economics isn't very relevant. My first computer in 1992 cost $1400 and had a state of the art 66hz processor.

The economics will catch up with 3d printing. This is going to be some part of the future of instrument building. The technology will get better, we will get better at it, and the possible implications for design are... well, I imagine we can't imagine.

This is the start. Fantastic. :)

And I second the idea that you could probably sell these for a reasonable price, not really to make big money but maybe just to pay for your materials that you use for your own projects.

Part of the idea of 3D printing isn't to create a cottage industry in your own home or shop but to provide the files so people can print them in their own home or office. So what might be a better idea is to sell the file for a smaller amount of $ so people can go to the local university or other place with a printer and print it themselves. I wouldn't mind printing my own ukulele at the Fablab we have at my college.

Seriously, this is such a fab and creative way to design and build a ukulele, i can see these 3d printers becomming available in every home within the next decade or so, furthermore changing the way we live, printing your own uke will be as easy as opening an email attachment and sending it to the printer.

Would so love to hear this as well!

Very very cool do you have a trick for peeling the thin back off the work table? Alot of the vids Ive seen on 3d printing they seem to have a terrible time with thin/delicate bits sticking.

It came off quite easily actually. I helps to twist the base plate to break it free.

This is really great. Could you model this off an older Uke? Or maybe experiment with new sizes.

Yes, the design would have to be draw up in Solidworks.

I am by no means a ukulele builder, but I am curious, in a "normal" wooden uke you see these braces inside and I remember reading somewhere that those influence not only stability but also the sound (may be mistaken, if so please correct me). Have you thought of copying bracing patterns inside the ukulele? I see you only have two horizontal ones, or at least it looks like that.

I copied the standard soprano bracing pattern with a brace above and below the soundhole and a bridgeplate. I am currently altering some aspects of the design including less robust braces and a smaller bridgeplate. I didn't put any on the back though but that may be changed too.

Part of the idea of 3D printing isn't to create a cottage industry in your own home or shop but to provide the files so people can print them in their own home or office. So what might be a better idea is to sell the file for a smaller amount of $ so people can go to the local university or other place with a printer and print it themselves. I wouldn't mind printing my own ukulele at the Fablab we have at my college.

Now that's an idea too.

Very cool! What's it made of?

That's... Wow! Have you shown it to any other musicians?

I've interacted with a few 3D-printed artifacts about 2 years ago, but that may've just been the level at which the CA-cemented powder method was at the time.

Do you intend to explore further with this method of making ukes?

Simply amazing!
Can you change the colour of the plastic? Would a clear one be possible?
I saw a news item saying the printing of a plastic gun was possible - single shot one that was operational.
The future is near....

Thanks for posting this, really cool stuff. I'm curious, what kind of job do you have where you need or experiment with a 3D printer? Prototypes?

Also curious what the maintenance cycle is on a printer like that and if there are any consumables not used in the final product. For example, older laser printers used to have the fusing units and other components separate from the toner cartridge, which had to be replaced at times.

Not sure if the Tax Payers would appreciate using the local university or college as a personal toy manufacture depot

Top Bottom