Ko'olau Gold tenor strings early review

Bao

Reaction score
From the first second that I heard that Ko'olau had yellow coloured strings, I knew that I just had to have them! (I'm a big fan of yellow).

efe87b0ace5d11e2bf5322000a9f38c3_7.jpg

Anyway, upon initial impression, they definitely sounded louder than my Aquila Red Set that I previously had on. They also provide more of a fuller sound, reminding me of when I had d'addario pro artes (The ones that Jake Shimabukuro uses). It also provides a very warm tone in my opinion.
In comparison to the pro artes, the aquila red series and aquila bionylons/nylguts, I prefer these Ko'lau golds.

Below is a link to me playing 'Gentlemandolin by Jake Shimabukuro' with my Ko'olau Golds!
https://soundcloud.com/bao-tran-19/gentlemandolin-jake

Last edited:
I just put the Golds on my baritone after trying the Reds, Nylguts, T2's etc. I Like the Golds much better. I'm going to try Worth Browns 1&2 with Hilo wound 3&4 next.

Not sure how you can defend your position BerGeRTum as string selection is a personal choice. Ya sound like a spammer and I feel I can defend that postion.

Love Ko'olau Gold strings on my baritone uke. Great sound from both wound and unwound string pairs. Terrific feel, too.

Just installed Golds on a soprano as well---still stretching, but sounding sweet.

Not sure how you can defend your position BerGeRTum as string selection is a personal choice. Ya sound like a spammer and I feel I can defend that postion.

Who ? What ? Where ?

Oh, and I intend trying Ko'olau Golds on all my Ukes as soon as I can find somewhere to buy the damn things in England. Unless I just bite the bullet and order some from HMS.

Who ? What ? Where ?

Oh, and I intend trying Ko'olau Golds on all my Ukes as soon as I can find somewhere to buy the damn things in England. Unless I just bite the bullet and order some from HMS.

Some available on EBay - about £8 a pop though! I'm after some to complete the 'look' of my soprano.

I'm getting some more LWS for my others........

Who ? What ? Where ?

I know the feeling, Australia does not have any (atleast in my area) ukulele strings for sale except for aquila nylguts. HMS is a fair price though, it was 8 dollars for the strings and 3 dollars for the shipping. I also checked on Ebay and it was much more expensive but who knows, maybe it might be cheaper for England :O

A zombie thread, but hey it’s Hallowe’en!

I had a set of these in my parts box. I can’t say how long they’ve been there. Four or five years? Anyway, I’ve Lanakai LU-21T. It’s a pretty basic uke and I had always strung it with Acquilas. It sounded tubby and I was never too happy with it. Well, the old A string broke so I dug thru my box and found a set of Ko’olau Gold Tenor Wound 3&4s. I popped them on and was stunned. Mellow, but with presence and not tubby. I really like these. Now, finding them is the issue. Not many places seem to carry them. I’d like to try them on other ukes.

Top Bottom