Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhD Ukulele Strings

Default PhD Ukulele Strings

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these strings the same as Worths. Another name for Fluorocarbon strings? I just bought some, thinking they were made of something else.
    My Ukes: Kamaka Tenor, Kamaka Concert, KoAloha 6-string . Martin 5K, Kanilea K-1 Tenor. a style 1 vintage Martin Soprano and Kamaka 6-string. Vintage Martin Tenor 12 fret to body and Martin Tenor 14 fret to body. Kamaka Tenor (long neck).

Yes and no.

http://www.ukulelecreations.com/Accessories.html
    "These clear strings utilize PVDF (polyvinylidene flouride) a polymer of higher molecular weight and density than nylon strings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinylidene_fluoride
    "PVDF is used for specialty monofilament fishing lines, sold as fluorocarbon replacements for nylon monofilament. "

So, yes, they are both fluorocarbons, but not "the same" compound/formulation I am sure.

Jim, those were kind of my thoughts. I was reading the same descriptions of the product as you were. Not being an organic chemist I could only surmize that the PhD strings although very similar chemically to Worths, probably differ somwhat.
    My Ukes: Kamaka Tenor, Kamaka Concert, KoAloha 6-string . Martin 5K, Kanilea K-1 Tenor. a style 1 vintage Martin Soprano and Kamaka 6-string. Vintage Martin Tenor 12 fret to body and Martin Tenor 14 fret to body. Kamaka Tenor (long neck).

I've had both. PhD's are stiffer in my opinion--in a good way. Low g is not as floppy as Worths. Not as muddy sounding either. Not quite a wound low g, but close.
    You, sir, are the devil. --Tammy

IMO, the low-G PhD set I tried was a bit less dull than Worth low-G set (heavy tension) but not by much. The Martin 600 series are the clearest, brightest and easiest to play of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried, but they don't made an unwound low-G, so I buy the single PhD low-G string to go with the Martins.
    Gillian
    KoAloha longneck soprano (KSM-02)~Kamaka Longneck Concert(HF2-LK)~Eleuke MP3 concert pineapple~Kohala concert (my first uke) ~Compass Rose custom tenor~ Compass Rose custom microjumbo tenor~Kala U-Bass

My YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    IMO, the low-G PhD set I tried was a bit less dull than Worth low-G set (heavy tension) but not by much. The Martin 600 series are the clearest, brightest and easiest to play of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried, but they don't made an unwound low-G, so I buy the single PhD low-G string to go with the Martins.
    Where can I buy the single low G PhD strings?

Here's the source - http://www.ukulelecreations.com/Accessories.html
    Singles are not listed on the site but maybe if you contact them they'll sell you some singles?

Quote Originally Posted by erivel View Post
    The UU store has them but only for Soprano/Concert. I think the Tenor ones sold out.
    "Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want." -- Giorgio Moroder

Quote Originally Posted by erivel View Post
    Eric, Ukulele Source in SJ has em but I would check for availability first before going there.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Don't know if I have buyer's remorse or not. The dude I bought the strings from said they were not Fluorocarbon. I guess his info was wrong. I have been using Worth strings and wanted to try something different. Guess I got a "Hybrid Fluorocarbon". Bummer

Thread Information