PhD Ukulele Strings

Howie1947

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't these strings the same as Worths. Another name for Fluorocarbon strings? I just bought some, thinking they were made of something else.

Jim, those were kind of my thoughts. I was reading the same descriptions of the product as you were. Not being an organic chemist I could only surmize that the PhD strings although very similar chemically to Worths, probably differ somwhat.

I've had both. PhD's are stiffer in my opinion--in a good way. Low g is not as floppy as Worths. Not as muddy sounding either. Not quite a wound low g, but close.

IMO, the low-G PhD set I tried was a bit less dull than Worth low-G set (heavy tension) but not by much. The Martin 600 series are the clearest, brightest and easiest to play of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried, but they don't made an unwound low-G, so I buy the single PhD low-G string to go with the Martins.

IMO, the low-G PhD set I tried was a bit less dull than Worth low-G set (heavy tension) but not by much. The Martin 600 series are the clearest, brightest and easiest to play of all the fluorocarbon strings I've tried, but they don't made an unwound low-G, so I buy the single PhD low-G string to go with the Martins.

Where can I buy the single low G PhD strings?

Where can I buy the single low G PhD strings?
Eric, Ukulele Source in SJ has em but I would check for availability first before going there.

Don't know if I have buyer's remorse or not. The dude I bought the strings from said they were not Fluorocarbon. I guess his info was wrong. I have been using Worth strings and wanted to try something different. Guess I got a "Hybrid Fluorocarbon". Bummer

Top Bottom