I Was Just Cruising Uluru Blog and found more Moore Bettah copies....WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of talk about the legal stuff in Chuck's earlier thread about these copycat ukuleles. Ordinarily, under federal copyright and trademark law, a business (say, Disney) would send someone using its proprietary art a "cease and desist" letter and, if the person using the protected art didn't cease and desist, a lawsuit would be filed. Things are more complicated when the person who is wrongfully using the protected art is overseas. I don't know much about this, but overseas violations typically involve treaties. I have an attorney friend who used to work for a movie industry trade association that went after Chinese companies that were pirating American movies and selling illegal DVDs of them. I don't know what, if any, treaties are in place to protect the holders of American copyrights and trademarks, but trying to enforce those rights in China is very difficult.

I say this not as an attorney but as a consumer: I think the best weapon against a foreign company that is pirating proprietary artwork and has a presence in the US is to pressure/boycott its US affiliate, In other words, emails or other correspondence to Ayers America promising to boycott any products it sells in America might pressure the US affiliate to ask the offending foreign company to stop. It might not hurt to also tell the guy who emailed Chuck to apologize that Ayers Music is, in so many words, a lying piece of crap for having suggested that the copying was isolated when it is clearly more widespread than he suggested. Sadly, some people have to be shamed into behaving better. And just as sadly, people never seem to learn the lessons of the Watergate scandal, which is that the coverup often bothers people more than the original offense.

Thanks Mark

I was already one of the people who complained to Ayers USA and I got the apology letter from them,,,I would send another one but I figure all they going to do is lie again...

but I for sure will never buy an Ayers Guitar or product..I emailed Acoustic Guitar Magazine and asked them to stop the Ayers ads that they have ...got no response..I guess they think there is only a couple hundred ukulele players in the USA...haha

Thanks Mark

I was already one of the people who complained to Ayers USA and I got the apology letter from them,,,I would send another one but I figure all they going to do is lie again...

but I for sure will never buy an Ayers Guitar or product..I emailed Acoustic Guitar Magazine and asked them to stop the Ayers ads that they have ...got no response..I guess they think there is only a couple hundred ukulele players in the USA...haha

I guess the useful thing about a second communication with Ayers is that you can now prove to them to their faces that they lied in their first response. It may make it a little harder for them to lie again.

Well, I officially take back ANY semblance of optimism about Ayers sincerity re: the other thread. :mad:

The Chinese government doesn't recognize copyrights or intellectual/artistic property from other countries. Chris Martin was shocked to discover a Chinese company a few years ago that had not only copied every aspect of the entire line of Martin Guitars right down to the logo, but had also copyrighted them in China.

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-02-2...-international-intellectual-property-alliance

Scooter

This is sadly, very true. The Chinese don't recognize and don't care about what other countries patent. If Apple, GM, and so many other major entities can't get Chinese companies to stop blatantly ripping off their designs, I fear Chuck won't have much luck either.

That just sucks. :(

All of which brings me back to my original recommendation in the original thread - make it extremely unpopular and uncool to own one of these ripoffs. A couple of you took me to task for that but the simple fact is that is the only practical solution to this sort of thing.

John'

This is done by Chrome... So it's probably not completely accurate... But here is:

Capture_zps711c984b.png

Mahalo Andy for the translation by Chrome..wow .......Just read it, it says it is a series and not just one uke???? did I read this wrong?
I hope I am wrong and wish the company would discontinue these type of practices...and maybe no harm to their business and make corrections and move on...

Last edited:
I can't get the blog posts to load. Did they take them down?

I've been out all day and just got home and saw this. It leaves me pretty disheartened. All of the art work in the ukes mentioned are 100% my art work. I believed I used a photo to work from with the bird uke. We have hundreds of these "mojitos" flying around the yard and I've even examined the dead ones that constantly fly into windows here. :( With the bamboo uke I didn't even use a pattern. I just looked at the way the bamboo grows outside my shop here and started cutting shell. Gotta tell you, this leaves my spirit pretty deflated. What happens when I sit down and put my energies into creating another masterpiece, only to have it ripped off again? That's not much incentive to be creative. At the very least it's time to protect my web site. Pity it has to come down to this.
I want to sincerely thank everyone who has expressed their concern over this. I need to figure where i go from here.

Much mahalo, Chuck

Oh, and I just checked the web site and the links where they originated from and they've been removed now. Apparently someone from "over there" reads this web site.
And thanks Seeso and mds for the comparison pics.

This makes me so sad. So. Sad.

Is nothing sacred anymore? Shame on Ayers. Shame on the person (because that person is not an artist) that copied Chuck's work. I actually thought Ayers did okay when they sent Chuck an apology...now, nothing they can do can change their dirt bag label in my head.

Wrong. WRONG. WRONG!

I will send an angry email to Ayers in the morning. They had a chance to make things right...and they lied. So uncool.

Mahalo Andy for the translation by Chrome..wow .......Just read it, it says it is a series and not just one uke???? did I read this wrong?
I hope I am wrong and wish the company would discontinue these type of practices...and maybe no harm to their business and make corrections and move on...

Yes, it's a series. Asian customers can place their orders by contacting dealers of Uluru in Taiwan

A brief translation:

Elegance - Uluru2012上海樂器展 特製款

面版使用英格萊曼雲杉,側背版、琴頭和琴頸使用非洲胡桃木,指板、琴橋使用黑檀木 梅花及枝頭上烏兒的精緻圖樣以Uluru擅長的的鑲貝技術而成。

Elegance – Uluru2012 Shanghai Musical Instruments Exhibition Custom Design

Engelmann Spruce Top with African Walnut wood headstock, side and back; Rosewood Fretboard and bridge. The plum flower branches and bird decoration are made with Uluru’s proficient shell inlaid technology.

証明了Uluru可以在初階手工琴上(Uluru系列、Manako系列、KOA系列),展現了樸實卻精緻手工製作的烏克麗麗,也能作出炫彩奪目的烏克麗麗。

It shows Uluru’s ability to produce simple but exquisite handmade Ukuleles, as well as glamorous, eye-catching gems.

Sorry for my terrible grammar.

I wonder if it's time to call Ayers out on more widely-populated social media sites, like Facebook and Twitter.....

I guess the useful thing about a second communication with Ayers is that you can now prove to them to their faces that they lied in their first response. It may make it a little harder for them to lie again.

Thanks Mark

I took your advice and sent them another letter...I told them they lied to me once so why should I now trust anything they say...

sorry Chuck these guys are the lowest...no respect..

It seems they have removed all the related links...

I am very sorry to see this kind of story happen AGAIN!:mad::mad: I felt ashamed that the Chinese people always do business in such dishonest way. I would tell EVERYONE what Uluru had done.

I am sorry Chunk:bowdown:

They copied Chuck's drawing, but could not come close to capturing his overall design sense and artistry The spruce top pales in comparison to such an extent that had I seen it alone (not side-by-side with the Moore Bettah) I don't think I would be at all impressed. It just doesn't look right. The koa uke is also poorly designed by comparison. The little differences fall flat in the end. The uke doesn't "pop" visually. This is a great example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts," i mean this in regard to chuck's. All they have done is copied parts. They haven't created masterpieces.

That they have copied at all is repugnant, but the best they can achieve are substantially weaker, soulless versions. They can't be Chuck. Chuck can't be anyone other than Chuck. So, while this is disheartening for him (I've been there and know what it feels like), I hope that Chuck will just keep doing what he does without allowing this to affect his spirit any more than it has. The real deal Moore Bettahs are so obviously much more better.

Yes, it's a series. Asian customers can place their orders by contacting dealers of Uluru in Taiwan

A brief translation:

Elegance - Uluru2012上海樂器展 特製款

面版使用英格萊曼雲杉,側背版、琴頭和琴頸使用非洲胡桃木,指板、琴橋使用黑檀木 梅花及枝頭上烏兒的精緻圖樣以Uluru擅長的的鑲貝技術而成。

Elegance – Uluru2012 Shanghai Musical Instruments Exhibition Custom Design

Engelmann Spruce Top with African Walnut wood headstock, side and back; Rosewood Fretboard and bridge. The plum flower branches and bird decoration are made with Uluru’s proficient shell inlaid technology.

証明了Uluru可以在初階手工琴上(Uluru系列、Manako系列、KOA系列),展現了樸實卻精緻手工製作的烏克麗麗,也能作出炫彩奪目的烏克麗麗。

It shows Uluru’s ability to produce simple but exquisite handmade Ukuleles, as well as glamorous, eye-catching gems.

Sorry for my terrible grammar.
Thank you for the translation Ukulelee,
Wow, It's a series so that means anyone can order this bird uke now...holy moly...:(
Are they stating the bird ukulele as their custom design for the shanghai musical design exhibition...wow

Last edited:
For me, it's another reason to only buy from outside of China or South Asian ukes. Rather than two Ulurus or whatever, buy one USA, Austraila, British etc. or buy a used no-Asian one.

Rather than furthering negative energies on this, I want to direct every positive energy I have towards Chuck cause I feel that's what he would want. Will definitly send the morning sage smoke in your direction Chuck knowing your philosophy of life will carry you thru.

Last edited:
In my day-to-day I deal a lot with the Chinese view of copying, plagiarism, intellectual property theft etc. I have been told by infringers that they consider their "work" is a "tribute" or "homage" to the original creator (yeah, right) and that I was being "culturally insensitive" for imposing my "western" view of intellectual property.

I feel for the original artisans whose amazing work is so flagrantly ripped off...but you'll never stop it, in a culture that values the "art" of deception and fakery, you might almost be regarded as an idiot for buying a genuine article when you can get a convincing copy for a fraction of the price.

I am not sure what the Shanghai Design Exhibition is. If it intended as a showcase for original work, the organisers may be disappointed if someone exhibited a plagiarised design?
We need to make it clear that it is both unfortunate and unlucky to have anything that is the result of plagiarism in a house. The only celestial cure is to destroy it if it comes as a gift, or to avoid a shop or business which is selling it.

For your information:
http://musicchina-expo.com/indexen.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom