Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You guys are lovely

Question You guys are lovely

Hello! I'm ZoŽ, fifteen and have been playing the ukulele for two years. Wasn't really sure if I should say all this in the Introduction boards or whether I should just dive in. But here I am saying hello.

A year ago I think I came on here and posted a video of one of my original songs for some feedback and got some really good responses. However, I kind of forgot about the forum and school got in the way resulting in me not being on here for a long time thus deciding to make a new account (because I'm all grown up now and can use my real name ahaha). Cutting to the chase, it'd be nice to have some uke enthusiastic friends. I live in Scotland, in quite a rural area where the music scene is thriving with fantastic talent, but not many play the ukulele and when they do it's all plinky plonky happy ukulele songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but after a while of being around extremely talented musicians who don't play uke and the only people who do, aren't as 'into music' as I am, playing the ukulele as a bit of fun, I feel like a bit of a fraud. Does this make sense? Like I'm not a proper musician because I just play ukulele?

What I'm trying to say is, it's nice to be back on a forum that appreciates the ukulele for being an instrument, playing the ukulele like a proper instrument and making friendships with other people because they too see the ukulele in this light I'm basically just complimenting Ukulele Underground and the lovely, considerate people who are on here. I guess I'm also awkwardly waving and asking if you'd let me into your ukulele family? Well, I don't really know what this post is but I'll leave it at that. If you want to hear my stuff or check me out you can click here for my website

Thanks for reading all this, I look forward to future conversations with you all P.S Any feedback on anything would be lovely and very much appreciated

You are the lovely one, ZoŽ! I really like your stuff, and I'm happy you've decided to return to UU. If you like, I can change your old account username to ZoŽ Bestel (and merge this new account with it). Just give me the word.

About feeling like a fraud - don't! Walk the road you have chosen, and own it. You are unique, and that's great!

P.S. Your link doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by seeso View Post
    You are the lovely one, ZoŽ! I really like your stuff, and I'm happy you've decided to return to UU. If you like, I can change your old account username to ZoŽ Bestel (and merge this new account with it). Just give me the word.

About feeling like a fraud - don't! Walk the road you have chosen, and own it. You are unique, and that's great!

P.S. Your link doesn't work for me.
    Aww thank you so much! Yes please, I think my old account was ZoeB365 ...but I'm not exactly sure. It's okay if you can't

That's made me a feel a lot better, thank you! Yes, I agree with that. Just wasn't fully sure of myself really, thank you!

P.S Is that to my website? It's http://www.zoebestel.co.uk if that makes any difference?

Hi Zoe. Ah Scotland, I usually go up to the Hebridean Celtic Festival on Lewis every year, but sadly not this time. There's a nice fringe scene which I play on up there.

Just finished tying my tartan (Frazer) on all the headstocks of my ukes.
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea
    Website | Youtube | Facebook

Welcome back Zoe! I remember your video from before and I am glad to see you have returned to UU. Of course you are part of the UU family and community!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoŽ Bestel View Post
    ...but not many play the ukulele and when they do it's all plinky plonky happy ukulele songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but after a while of being around extremely talented musicians who don't play uke and the only people who do, aren't as 'into music' as I am, playing the ukulele as a bit of fun, I feel like a bit of a fraud. Does this make sense? Like I'm not a proper musician because I just play ukulele?
    Hi ZoŽ! This comment made me think of a thread I started some time ago, thought you might be interested in reading some of the responses: Ukulele player, musician, or both?

At the time I posted, I commented that I felt like a bit of a fraud as well - I *only* play ukulele, but have spent most of my life around serious musicians/songwriters/multiinstrumentalists. Happy to say that almost a year later, I'm feeling like a lot less of a fraud

I have to say I've had it the other way around. I spent the first few years playing around serious folk musicians, and just lately the fun has gone out of it. I met up with a bunch of guys in York who play the ukulele and it's like a strong breathe of fresh air.
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea
    Website | Youtube | Facebook

Zoe, you have the voice of an Angel. Keep up the great work, and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by byjimini View Post
    Hi Zoe. Ah Scotland, I usually go up to the Hebridean Celtic Festival on Lewis every year, but sadly not this time. There's a nice fringe scene which I play on up there.

Just finished tying my tartan (Frazer) on all the headstocks of my ukes.
    Ooh, didn't know about that, will look into it! I was however up at Celtic Connections this year on the Danny Kyle stage which was good fun. I have a video of that here.

Nice, loving the tartan idea!
    Last edited by ZoŽ Bestel; 06-28-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMFT View Post
    Welcome back Zoe! I remember your video from before and I am glad to see you have returned to UU. Of course you are part of the UU family and community!
    Oh wow! I can't even remember what video I posted thinking about it. But thank you, it's so lovely you remembered!

Thread Information