You guys are lovely

Zoë Bestel

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Zoë, fifteen and have been playing the ukulele for two years. Wasn't really sure if I should say all this in the Introduction boards or whether I should just dive in. But here I am saying hello.

A year ago I think I came on here and posted a video of one of my original songs for some feedback and got some really good responses. However, I kind of forgot about the forum and school got in the way resulting in me not being on here for a long time thus deciding to make a new account (because I'm all grown up now and can use my real name ahaha). Cutting to the chase, it'd be nice to have some uke enthusiastic friends. I live in Scotland, in quite a rural area where the music scene is thriving with fantastic talent, but not many play the ukulele and when they do it's all plinky plonky happy ukulele songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but after a while of being around extremely talented musicians who don't play uke and the only people who do, aren't as 'into music' as I am, playing the ukulele as a bit of fun, I feel like a bit of a fraud. Does this make sense? Like I'm not a proper musician because I just play ukulele?

What I'm trying to say is, it's nice to be back on a forum that appreciates the ukulele for being an instrument, playing the ukulele like a proper instrument and making friendships with other people because they too see the ukulele in this light :) I'm basically just complimenting Ukulele Underground and the lovely, considerate people who are on here. I guess I'm also awkwardly waving and asking if you'd let me into your ukulele family? Well, I don't really know what this post is but I'll leave it at that. If you want to hear my stuff or check me out you can click here for my website

Thanks for reading all this, I look forward to future conversations with you all :D P.S Any feedback on anything would be lovely and very much appreciated :D

You are the lovely one, Zoë! I really like your stuff, and I'm happy you've decided to return to UU. If you like, I can change your old account username to Zoë Bestel (and merge this new account with it). Just give me the word.

About feeling like a fraud - don't! Walk the road you have chosen, and own it. You are unique, and that's great!

P.S. Your link doesn't work for me. :(

You are the lovely one, Zoë! I really like your stuff, and I'm happy you've decided to return to UU. If you like, I can change your old account username to Zoë Bestel (and merge this new account with it). Just give me the word.

About feeling like a fraud - don't! Walk the road you have chosen, and own it. You are unique, and that's great!

P.S. Your link doesn't work for me. :(

Aww thank you so much! Yes please, I think my old account was ZoeB365 ...but I'm not exactly sure. It's okay if you can't :)

That's made me a feel a lot better, thank you! Yes, I agree with that. Just wasn't fully sure of myself really, thank you!

P.S Is that to my website? It's http://www.zoebestel.co.uk if that makes any difference?

Hi Zoe. Ah Scotland, I usually go up to the Hebridean Celtic Festival on Lewis every year, but sadly not this time. :( There's a nice fringe scene which I play on up there.

Just finished tying my tartan (Frazer) on all the headstocks of my ukes.

Welcome back Zoe! I remember your video from before and I am glad to see you have returned to UU. Of course you are part of the UU family and community!

...but not many play the ukulele and when they do it's all plinky plonky happy ukulele songs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but after a while of being around extremely talented musicians who don't play uke and the only people who do, aren't as 'into music' as I am, playing the ukulele as a bit of fun, I feel like a bit of a fraud. Does this make sense? Like I'm not a proper musician because I just play ukulele?

Hi Zoë! This comment made me think of a thread I started some time ago, thought you might be interested in reading some of the responses: Ukulele player, musician, or both?

At the time I posted, I commented that I felt like a bit of a fraud as well - I *only* play ukulele, but have spent most of my life around serious musicians/songwriters/multiinstrumentalists. Happy to say that almost a year later, I'm feeling like a lot less of a fraud :)

I have to say I've had it the other way around. I spent the first few years playing around serious folk musicians, and just lately the fun has gone out of it. I met up with a bunch of guys in York who play the ukulele and it's like a strong breathe of fresh air.

Hi Zoe. Ah Scotland, I usually go up to the Hebridean Celtic Festival on Lewis every year, but sadly not this time. :( There's a nice fringe scene which I play on up there.

Just finished tying my tartan (Frazer) on all the headstocks of my ukes.

Ooh, didn't know about that, will look into it! I was however up at Celtic Connections this year on the Danny Kyle stage which was good fun. I have a video of that here. :)

Nice, loving the tartan idea!

Last edited:
Welcome back Zoe! I remember your video from before and I am glad to see you have returned to UU. Of course you are part of the UU family and community!

Oh wow! I can't even remember what video I posted thinking about it. But thank you, it's so lovely you remembered! :)

You are a sweetie. Welcome back.

A. You are a singer, a musician, and an entertainer
B. You happen to play the ukulele
C. It is not necessary that you compare yourself to anyone.
D. Doing this makes you happy.

Keep on ukin!

...At the time I posted, I commented that I felt like a bit of a fraud as well - I *only* play ukulele, but have spent most of my life around serious musicians/songwriters/multiinstrumentalists. Happy to say that almost a year later, I'm feeling like a lot less of a fraud :)

Aww, thank you so much for linking me to this, feel a lot better! It's so awesome to find people who understand :) Thank you!

Keep on ukin!

Ahaha, thank you so much :D Yes! You're right, I need to be happy with myself. I guess I am a musician even though I play uke!

Thank you all so much for this support :D

What he said! AND i must add... You have a lovely voice :). I watched the video and you could hear the audience singing the chorus with you. Even though you can't see them, no mistaking you made them smile.

I might be new here but even I can see you are no fraud. :)

Cheers!

Keep on ukin!

What he said! AND i must add... You have a lovely voice :). I watched the video and you could hear the audience singing the chorus with you. Even though you can't see them, no mistaking you made them smile.

I might be new here but even I can see you are no fraud. :)

Cheers!

Oh wow, cheers! Ahh was that Little Secret? Yeah, that was a fantastic gig :)

Thank you so much!

Aww thank you so much! Yes please, I think my old account was ZoeB365 ...but I'm not exactly sure. It's okay if you can't :)

That's made me a feel a lot better, thank you! Yes, I agree with that. Just wasn't fully sure of myself really, thank you!

P.S Is that to my website? It's http://www.zoebestel.co.uk if that makes any difference?

Ah, the link works now.

I see ZoeB355, but there's also another one that seems like you. Isn't this user also you?

Ahaha, thank you so much :D Yes! You're right, I need to be happy with myself. I guess I am a musician even though I play uke!

Thank you all so much for this support :D

You miswrote that sentence above. What you meant was:

I am a musician

Stop being so wordy. ;)

If I get up to Scotland, I'll try to catch a gig. And let us know down south if you're headed our way.

Aloha Zoe,
Welcome back girl, watched your video and really liked it....you are very talented....yes keep doing what makes you happy and be around the same people with the same intrests like us here :)
that was a awesome re introduction of yourself here....it really made my eyes teary....I am so happy you are having so much with your ukulele...you go girl, way to go....happy strummings
yes you have a beautiful voice and play beautifully....keep Strumming them strings :)

Top Bottom