Here are the hosts for upcoming Seasons of the Ukulele. If you're excited to host, but haven't had a chance to sign up yet, Seasons needing hosts are listed below as TBA.
Guidelines and tips are below the list of upcoming hosts. Past themes/challenges are in post #5 below.
If you would like to be on the reserve list (that is, if you'd be willing and able to host on short notice if someone is unable to host or if I'm unable to contact a host for an upcoming week), please let me know and I'll add your name to the reserve list.
TheOnlyUkeThatMatters, Seasons Volunteer Coordinator Jr.
Reserve List: peewee, Shady Wilbury, strumsilly, UkeCan1, pabrizzer, BigDaddyUker, Tootler, IamNoMan, frisbee fred
195. 8th – 15th November......myrnaukelele
196. 15th – 22nd November......Rustyy
197. 22nd – 29th November......YorkSteve
198. 29th November – 6th December......Dougf
199. 6th – 13th December......hendulele
200. 13th – 20th December......Tootler
201. 20th – 27th December......BigDaddyUker
202. 27th December – 3rd January......UkeCan1
203. 3rd – 10th January......Phluffy the Destroyer
204. 10th – 17th January......Freeda
205. 17th – 24th January......bonesigh
206. 24th – 31st January......bird's eye view of my ukelele
207. 31st January – 7th February......uke4ia
208. 7th – 14th February......pabrizzer
209. 14th – 21st February......YorkSteve
210. 21st – 28th February......Harry122
211. 28th February – 6th March......Rustyy
212. 6th – 13th March......barefootgypsy
213. 13th – 20th March......turtledrum
214. 20th – 27th March......Tootler
215. 27th – 3rd April......mountain goat
- If you'd like to host a Season, choose a week during which you'll have the time and energy to be a good host.
- Mark your Season week on your personal calendar so you can prepare as the week nears.
- Sign up for only two weeks per year unless unclaimed weeks remain unclaimed, then go ahead and volunteer for another.
- If things change and you're unable host, please contact me (a private message is best) ASAP so a substitute can be found.
- The only week with a theme in advance is the last full Season before Christmas. (The Holiday Songs week was like a holiday party, with many warm greetings and cheer, so we'll be continuing the tradition.)
Good ideas for hosts
During your Season, we're in "your house", so you can set things up your way, but there are a few expectations:
- Hosts must have posted at least one video for a Seasons challenge---more is much better---the more you've participated, the better you'll be at hosting a great Season.
- Please comment in your Season thread on the entries or post a response video giving feedback to all the participants. Or, even better, do both.
- Each Season should begin no sooner than late Saturday evening mainland USA time (try to be sure it's after whatever you consider dinner time). At that time, the host posts the theme, the rules, and the prizes for the week. The host should emphasize that no videos should be posted before 12:00 AM Sunday mainland USA time.
- Each Season ends eight days later on Sunday at 11:59:59 PM Hawaii time (a quirky tradition begun by chrimess which reminds us each week of the origin of all this ukulele music). So consecutive Seasons overlap on Sunday, with one Season closing and one Season opening. (Seasonistas who live outside mainland USA/Canada time zones have the same length of time to participate, but their start and end times are calculated in their own time zones.)
- Choose theme and set parameters. (Bonus songs allowed? Multi-tracking? etc.)
- Post theme Saturday night (USA mainland time); don't allow videos posted until Sunday.
- Season ends at 11:59:59 PM Hawaii time the next Sunday.
- Select winners (using a method of your choice) and announce them soon after then end of your Season.
- Offer prizes for the winners. Prizes need not be expensive. (Certificates are fine; joke prizes are fine; but ukuleles are the best prizes )
- It's great if the host posts a video during the week, whether it's an intro video, a response video, a performance, or one (or more) of each.
- The more the merrier---encourage new people to join us.
- Follow the host's specifications for that week. (Read the host's challenge thread carefully and/or watch the challenge video.)
- Comment on others' videos, and not just your top favorites! Everyone likes encouragement. Your comment might help someone enormously. Each comment contributes the positive vibe of the Seasons, and strengthens the aloha spirit of the challenges. (In the past, some people posted lists of the entries, with comments for each one. Now, more participants comment on YouTube. Participants like to be noticed, and posting in the thread---without duplicating the video or lots of text---is welcome.)
A quote from former Seasons volunteer coordinator and ukulele hero, ukuloonie:
I think that we have a good group here who participate each week. I was thinking if you don’t see somebody for a while on the Seasons, it might make somebody’s day if they were just contacted to see how they were doing, not to find out why that they are not participating, just to say hello, thinking of you and hope all is well.