Ohana SK-21m

Reaction score
I just purchased a Ohana SK-21m sopranino. I already own the Ohana SK-21. Is the Sk21m worth a look? IMHO, it is a must have for all the sopranino lovers on UU. It is in most respects a smaller version of their wonderful SK-38, thin mahogany, loud sound, and the sweet voice you get from a well made mahogany ukulele. all this comes in a very cool vintage Martin 2 inspired body. This is no toy. I have had the SK-21 for about a year and have really enjoyed it, however, I wish Ohana had the SK-21m available when I bought the 21, it is a very large step up in quality. If you are looking at sopraninos, this is the one to get your hands on. Uke Republic has them on sale for $158.00 and it comes set up and with a sopranino bag. These bags are difficult to find and this price is way below Ohana's suggested price. I really do not think there are going to be alot of these sopraninos around and for the price, this is one to grab.

Nice review~ I hope it's OK to say I tried them both and like them for different reasons. Each of them are wonderful ukuleles! I am editing this post, because I initially preferred the SK-21, but now that I have Freemont Black Lines on my SK-21M, it sounds fantastic!!!! Can't go wrong with either one!

Last edited:
Hey, to each his own. I also own the older model and have enjoyed it greatly. I certainly have no plans to part with it. I also have the SK-38 and love it. I like 20's and 30's music and like the SK-38, the Sk-21m is louder and has that sweet voice with that 20's bark. The older Sk-21 is a sweet little ukulele and I certainly did not mean to imply otherwise. Thanks for your input, and again, I agree, the older SK-21 is great. Mahalo

The 21 and the 21m both stay in C tuning very nicely. I have Martin strings on the 21m and worth brown lights on the 21, just for a little different sound. Mahalo

I have the SK-21s in C and they work well; recommend Freemont Blacklines.

Last edited:
I would like to know more about the subtle differences in the two versions of the Ohana SK-21. I didnt think there was anything different about them other than the finish variations....
Im looking into getting myself an Ohana Sopranino and im trying to decide between the two.

I really love the look of the sk21 but one of my worries is that the string tension would be quite low and the strings would be a bit slack. How do you find them in that respect?

I really love the look of the sk21 but one of my worries is that the string tension would be quite low and the strings would be a bit slack. How do you find them in that respect?

Works really well in D, Eb or E tuning.

This is my first post since 2011 (join date). I purchased the SK-21M a couple of days ago and just can't wait. I will tune it in D but will surely have to review all my old standards when I join other players.

Been a while since this thread was posted!
So I thought I might ask about any difference between the the SK-21A and Pequeno Nunes style sopraninos vs. the SK-21 and SK-21M models.
Anyone? I really want a comparison of the sound quality between them.

Last edited:
Been a while since this thread was posted!
So I thought I might ask about any difference between the the SK-21A and Pequeno Nunes style sopraninos vs. the SK-21 and SK-21M models.
Anyone? I really want a comparison of the sound quality between them.

Is the Pequeno Nunes a new model? I don't recall hearing about it before the last few months, and now I see it regularly. I've got the 21M and it's got quite a bark. My SK-38 almost sounds concert like after playing the SK-21M. I think the Nunes has a more tapered waist, which will might give it an even more punchy sound. It might be a subtle difference though.

Oh, I just remembered this - it's exactly what you wanted plus a bunch of sopranisimos:

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting an SK-21, but would like to know if the back of the neck is rounded or flat. Can someone shed some light on this? TIA

Timely video dropped today from Rachel. One thing that would be a deal killer for me on the Pequino is no side fret markers. Shore is purdy tho.

Top Bottom