Ukuleles from Vietnam on Ebay?

When I got my first uke 2 years ago, I decided to get taisamlu´s tenor uke - mainly because I had picked up a wonderful dobro done by him on ebay. (They have alulu written on them.) The workmanship carpenterwise is simply outstanding (as confirmed by a local luthier) and the uke plays very easily - that is, as long as you stay down low on the neck. When you move up, action gets very high and intonation is slightly out. Having said that, I have the same issues with my Oscar Schmidt ukes, so I guess they are in the same ballpark (but much more expensive).
Shortly after that, I picked up my first Bruce Wei tenor uke (I just offered the starting bid and I had it). Different workmanship style, but outstanding as well. Brilliant tone, nice action, very good intonation and *WAY* above everything I have so far seen in our local music store. I was a bit worried since Bruce says that they can warp according to the conditions, but I had no issues so far (and I play this uke almost every day, I do not loosen the strings, I don´t keep them in a bag). The rooms my ukes are in are *not* humid at all. They are just hanging on a wall (not touching it, of course) or lying on a table so I only have to reach out and grab one. The taisamlu tenor uke is slightly heavier and it is all in the corpus as you can see from the location of the center of gravity and the somehow dampened sound.
Then, I picked up a walnut concert uke (also Bruce Way) and while intonation is not quite as clean as on the tenor (which I had expected since the tolerances are smaller) it is still way better than my Oscar Schmidt ukes (both 5-string tenor and spalted maple baritone) and I like to play it for a change.
Two weeks ago I got a Bruce Wei guitarlele and this is a very nice instrument as well (good action, nice sweet sound, clean intonation). I am now waiting for a maple concert uke with a pineapple-shaped sound hole I fell in love with.
So while I would think twice or thrice before buying just anything offered on ebay (and I haven´t heard anything nice from inlaidartist´s instruments) and I am done with Oscar Schmidt, but Bruce Wei is ok according to my experience. He responds quickly to questions and I like his instruments.

Last edited:
I got a brucewei uke, and it was an un-repairable piece of junk! Don't waste your money.

paul

I got a brucewei uke, and it was an un-repairable piece of junk! Don't waste your money.

paul

What was the issue ?

Bruce Wei has over 1,500 postive comments and a 99.8 approval/satisfaction rating on ebay. With 5 negative and 12 neutral reviews.

Was it a climate change issue ? Was it damaged in the mail ? What was the price paid for the ukulele ?

What was the issue ?

Bruce Wei has over 1,500 postive comments and a 99.8 approval/satisfaction rating on ebay. With 5 negative and 12 neutral reviews.

Was it a climate change issue ? Was it damaged in the mail ? What was the price paid for the ukulele ?

I do see that a general issue with ebay feedback is that you give a feedback (which unlike amazon reviews you cannot change anymore) right after you have received your goods, so if something ugly happens a few months later this is not reflected in the ratings. Therefore I wanted to chime in and say that I have had no issues whatsoever with Bruce´s ukes (I´ll be happy to post pics if you so desire) and the guitarlele (which has a label inside saying Oct 2014) is holding up fine so far as well :)

Having said that, any instrument can be ruined by keeping it in the wrong conditions and buying something from half around the world you haven´t seen before is always a bit of a crapshoot.

I do see that a general issue with ebay feedback is that you give a feedback (which unlike amazon reviews you cannot change anymore) right after you have received your goods, so if something ugly happens a few months later this is not reflected in the ratings. Therefore I wanted to chime in and say that I have had no issues whatsoever with Bruce´s ukes (I´ll be happy to post pics if you so desire) and the guitarlele (which has a label inside saying Oct 2014) is holding up fine so far as well :)

Having said that, any instrument can be ruined by keeping it in the wrong conditions and buying something from half around the world you haven´t seen before is always a bit of a crapshoot.

I agree that often feedback is given sometimes before problems arise, I think I might have also mentioned that in another post. I recently ordered from Bruce Wei for first hand experience and my new tenor should arrive in a few days. I have been following a guitar collector from Nevada who posts care tips for guitars on the internet, who stresses humidification on this guitars. He claims in his climate a Martin guitar will crack in a week if left in the open without a humidifier, suggesting it isn't so much where an instrument comes from it is where it goes.

I have checked the average humidity where I live, and it can range between 42 and 80% on average, and most guitar companies suggest humidity between 45 and 55% so I feel fairly confident. I may have to look into gel packs or something to take humidity out of the air but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I also found it interesting that cracking isn't the only problem with humidification, humidity conditions also can also be the cause of sharp fret wires that become exposed due to shrinking of a fretboard. He suggests when getting a new instrument not to touch it for a week after it arrives to allow it to get used to its new surroundings so the neck does not bend when strings are tuned etc...

I would doubt that you have to worry about over humidification with a Vietnam ukulele.

Possibly, been reading up on it, over humidification can cause swelling and other problems that can effect the joints/swelling etc...

How's the soprano ?

I just got my second concert uke and she´s a beauty - spruce top, zebra wood body, with a beautiful pineapple sound hole, my initials on the headstock (I had to wait for her about 10 days longer because of this) and a second sound hole in the side. I tuned her up and the sound is very sweet and beautiful, louder and more detailed to me (obviously because of the second sound hole), but my uninitiated audience does not hear a difference. Action is ok - could be half a mm less and will be so after a change of strings - and so is intonation. So far, I am happy. I´d be interested to hear about the sopranos, too.

paul

Wow! Mileage seems to vary a lot ...

What was the issue ? Was it a climate change issue ? Was it damaged in the mail ? What was the price paid for the ukulele ?

Crickets... Its so easy to just yell they suck as you run by. I take such reviews with the amount of attention they deserve. What were we talking about again?

He suggests when getting a new instrument not to touch it for a week after it arrives to allow it to get used to its new surroundings so the neck does not bend when strings are tuned etc...

So I'm supposed to get a new ukulele in the mail and not touch it for a week? Ha!

How's the soprano ?

Taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r in the mail.

And to make a fool of me 10 am I get a knock at the door.

Shipped Jan 30th so what 12 days?

The box stayed closed for two hours took it out for a quick inspection and put it in its case in my cold room. A week before tuning seriously?

Last edited:
I can see letting the uke acclimate to the temperature change. But a week? Sounds like a ready make excuse knowing the wood is improperly cured and most likely will warp.

I didn't wait with my tenor and it was fine until the heat came on. Then it was a crack not a warp and the voice on it is still just awesome. I'll likely tune up my little Wei hmmm Mini Wei in a few hours got a set of Aquila reds waiting for it.

Hmm maybe I'll call it the Wei one, its pretty small making the KA-SEM look big.

The wood is air dried in Vietnam nothing is being hidden or misrepresented in fact theres a build sheet with plenty of data for a $99 ukulele.

Detailed Product Features :

Top Material : Solid air-dried Brazilian Walnut

Back & Sides Material : Solid air-dried Brazilian Walnut

Headplate Material : Solid Rosewood

Strings : Italian Aquila Strings

Fingerboard Material : Solid Rosewood

Neck Material : Solid Mahogany

Bridge Material : Solid Ebony

Nut Material : Real Buffalo Bone

Finish Body : Polished Satin

Finish Neck : Satin

Scale Length : 13"

Overall Length : 510 mm

Fingerboard Width At Nut : 34 mm

Fingerboard Width At 12th Fret: 43 mm

Frets : 12 (there are 15)

Body Width : 5 7/8" (149 mm)

Body Depth : 2 1/4" (57 mm)

On another note my 80's USA BC Rich Warlock neck has warped over the years mostly since being in its case.

Well it made it 3 whole hours and its tuned up with the strings it came with. Like I remember the sound on my tenor before it sitting a year its a little unimpressive. Going to write up a NUD with more details.

I bought one from brucewei, and it's a piece of un-repairable junk!!!! Don't do it!!!!

paul

I bought one from brucewei, and it's a piece of un-repairable junk!!!! Don't do it!!!!

paul
I wonder how much of the thread that you read.

Top Bottom